Packing camera and housing for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question - do you pack your camera in its housing when traveling for a dive trip? I've done it both ways....last trip I packed it in the housing. Seems to make sense to save space, but on longer trips I do worry slightly about having the camera in the housing for up to 24 hours...

Opinions welcome - thanks.

Chris

I have been packing the camera in the housing, but thats been a G7 with OEM housing so its been in my carryon.
Now that Ive replaced the G7 with a dslr that takes a LOT more space it wont be in the carryon and the camera wont be in the housing.

but on longer trips I do worry slightly about having the camera in the housing for up to 24 hours...
I pack my camera in the housing but leave the door unlatched and it goes in my camera bag as carry on.

Why are you worried about leaving the camera in the housing?

I have a simple Canon G11/Canon OEM housing set-up

I guess leaving it unlatched would be an option. I suppose I could also pack it with a moisture muncher

Thanks for the tips so far!

Can you explain more? My camera has sat in its housing for 5 years now... We must be doing things differently.
Im yet to have an issue with it, but its actually in the housing manual. You shouldnt store the camera in the housing, especially where its warm, cause the camera can overheat and temprature changes can cause condensation..

Im yet to have an issue with it, but its actually in the housing manual. You shouldnt store the camera in the housing, especially where its warm, cause the camera can overheat and temprature changes can cause condensation..

that advice makes sense in a different situation. i do not let my housed camera sit in direct sunlight while diving. high humidity & possible high temperatures since i do mostly warm water diving. so it is stored in the shade under a towel when on a boat going to/from dive sites.

but travel is a different situation. if checked in luggage, i would be more worried about cold - not sure how warm the plane cargo area remains?

I tend to be paranoid about the main housing o-ring......keeping it closed all the time puts pressure on it.....so I guess you could argue keeping it closed for a long period could increase wear. I store mine open inside a water/air-tight tupperware container to keep dust, etc. off of it.

I suppose worrying about keeping it closed for 24 hours during travel is probably more than a little paranoid....at least as far as the o-ring is concerned.

I would have camera/housing with me as a carry-on in my camera backpack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom