Looking for comments/feedback on photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmsenger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here are a few photos I took in the Maldives last summer. It was my first trip with my camera (G12 in Canon housing), and most of the shots came out poorly, as expected. These are some of the better ones, a few of which have had minimal white balance adjustment. I'm looking for feedback on the photos, composition, color, etc., so I can learn and improve when I go back again this summer. Thanks!

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 39
From your comments I am assuming you don't have a strobe, my advice is to buy one and forget about messing around with white balance underwater, you are going to miss some shots if you don't have one and a strobe also freezes the action too. That said, your mantis shrimp pic looks good, but your scorpionfish and lionfish shots would look a lot better with a strobe.

Try to move in closer with the zoom too or physically if possible, the banded shrimp is not really drawing any attention it only occupies around 12% of the total frame.

Scorpionfish portraits can also be stunning and full of colour, it is usually not difficult to get real close up to them as they are generally fearless.

Try to get some practice locally, I notice that you are in Doha, not dived there but I am guessing like the UAE part of the Gulf visibility is cr@p and some macro or close up will be all you can manage.

Thanks for the feedback. First thing I did when I came back from the trip was buy a strobe. And yes, diving over here isn't that much different than over there - cloudy at best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom