DIY or BUY floats for arms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Dancheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a new Fisheye Fix housing for the S100 and a single strobe. I have a lens caddy on the strobe arm for my Inon lenses. It is starting to get heavy. Was thinking about putting on a 2nd handle with an arm for a foam float.

The jumbo Sitx float arms are $35 for 4. Buy it or make it...that is the question.

For DIY you need to buy divinylcell or similar. It will come in bars and you will have to cut it and secure using cable tie. It is not pretty but will do the job.
Stix floats will fit much nicely if you have ULCS or similar arms and are much easier to handle. $35 are not worth the effort but if you need more then yes go for DIY

Thanks Interceptor, you have been quite helpful! I think I will buy them.. moving into the next project... DYI snoot. They seem to be too $$ to buy.

Snoots are easy to make from hardware store stuff. Divinycell is great stuff but stix stuff is machined for ULCS or their own arms. A lot depends on how much you think your time is worth. Many guys I know would value their time negatively meaning if they weren't doing some DIY project they would invent one so they didn't have to talk to their wives.

Bill

+2 for ULCS arms & Stix floats. One nice feature on the Stix floats is the cutouts are offset a bit. So, if you join two arms together, they'll fold up tight against each other.

I went w/Dan Volker's suggestion...Cut/cap small sections of PVC and secure them w/zip ties. I think it works better than high-density foam board and it only costs a few dollars to do.

I am not sure I understand PVC is not positive is neutral at best. Good maybe for tray but how do you do a float with it? If it is sealed it needs to be expensive not to crack at depth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom