floats for camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tzetsin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks. I'm planning my first excursion with my new UW camera. I've got some styx floats, but was wondering how buoyant large Nauticam housings typically are on their own? Will I even need floats?

I've got a pair of flash arms and flash that I'll be using too.

Different cameras and housings all react differently. My one camera is a Sony with a Sony housing and is just slightly negative. My JVC video camera and housing is so positive it was uncomfortable to dive with. I assembled a couple of aluminum tube handles and an aluminum angle mount. I filled the handles with lead shot and now can use it comfortably. I would assemble it and find a body of water to find out how it handles before you dive with it.

I thought it might be like that. The housing with flash/arms and camera/lens installed weigh 27 lbs. There is a fair amount of air inside there though, so its hard to say which way it'll go without trying. guess its time to see if the local pool considers anyone with a camera in the pool a predator of some kind ;D

---------- Post added April 30th, 2013 at 08:04 PM ----------

Ok, back from the local pool. with all gear attached, It looks like its quite positive. Not so bad that I can't hold it down, but it definitely doesn't sink. I've got 8 jumbo stix floats attached to the arms. I don't think those are whats causing it go go up so much though as it the rear of the camera housing seems to want to go up mostly.

So question... if its slightly buoyant at surface, how far do you have to go down to see nuetral? 10-15m? negative around 20-30m?

So question... if its slightly buoyant at surface, how far do you have to go down to see nuetral? 10-15m? negative around 20-30m?

The housing and parts do no compress at depth you can do all those tests in the bathtub at home. Just make sure it is slightly negative otherwise it will be positive in salt water

Not sure what housing you have but both nautican and ultralight declare the buoyancy of their parts so it is not difficult to have a good first guess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom