Why I shoot Raw - Video Tutorial - Lightroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All -

I decided to put together a quick video of why I like to shoot raw and why I think it's important for the type of underwater photograph I do.
This is my first video tutorial.

These photos were processed in Lightroom 4

[video=youtube_share;qSpPoLmlgZs]http://youtu.be/qSpPoLmlgZs[/video]

Here is the photo after and before:

DSC04119.jpgDSC04119-2.jpg

Let me know if you have ideas to improve the technique.

Great tutorial! Now I need to find one on color grading underwater video footage. :) That's a challenge as well.

Another advantage to RAW images is the huge amount of data they store in unexposed regions of the image. This was one of the first few hundred pictures I took with my D800E and thought I had a worthless shot on my hands. Before I decided to throw it away I thought I'd see what was in the image if I pushed it a little with the exposure slider. Whoa, low and behold there is a full picture there with very little loss of IQ!
How's this for D800E dynamic range?!?!?! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

-Andy

Great tutorial! Now I need to find one on color grading underwater video footage. :) That's a challenge as well.

Another advantage to RAW images is the huge amount of data they store in unexposed regions of the image. This was one of the first few hundred pictures I took with my D800E and thought I had a worthless shot on my hands. Before I decided to throw it away I thought I'd see what was in the image if I pushed it a little with the exposure slider. Whoa, low and behold there is a full picture there with very little loss of IQ!
How's this for D800E dynamic range?!?!?! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

-Andy

That's pretty amazing and also a good reason why nice large sensors like those in a DSLR are good. I don't think I could get that kind of range out of my little rx100.

yup i agree that RAW capable camera has a lot of benefits. you can recover wide range or shades of color, highlights, shadow and the white balance.
RAW capable camera was my main deciding factor when i bought my camera (the cheaper one with RAW file :D).

see below for comparison of my before and after edited in lightroom using the RAW file.

Thank you :)

11419472126_7c471cc71c_c.jpg

Thanks for this.
I have just bought a Canon G16 this has neat option of taking RAW+JPEG each shot ... RAW for post processing after a dive trip, JPEG for quick facebook & shares during trip.

Never used Lightroom ... have used Photoshop CS6 ... Lightroom looks a lot easier.

No problem.

Basically photoshop started off as a photo editing application. It has grown over the years to do many things and cater to many needs. This has made it complicated and expensive for someone starting out.
Lightroom was developed to take the best of photoshop for the digital photographer and repackage it in an easier to use format. It isn't as power as photoshop bit is much more user friendly. 100% of my photos go into lightroom. Of those only 10% or more go to photoshop for more detailed work that can't be handled in lightroom.

I also use photoshop for digital painting and photo manipulation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom