Lightroom 5 Tutorial - The Advanced Healing Brush and Radial Filter Tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sloss

Contributor
Reaction score
Split between Denver, Colorado and Rimini, Italy

Hey everyone,

I've put up a short 6 minute video tutorial that highlights the powerful retouching capabilities now possible when you use Lightroom's new Advanced Retouching tool. There's also a few creative tips at the end of the movie that use the new Radial filter to help you make stronger images. Have a look. I think you'll find these techniques very useful!

Enjoy!!!

Hey everyone,

I've put up a short 6 minute video tutorial that highlights the powerful retouching capabilities now possible when you use Lightroom's new Advanced Retouching tool. There's also a few creative tips at the end of the movie that use the new Radial filter to help you make stronger images. Have a look. I think you'll find these techniques very useful!

Enjoy!!!
I just started using Lightroom 5 and am having trouble removing backscatter easily. Is there an easy and fast way to do this in Lightroom or do I have to use Photoshop?

Shouldn't this be in the classifieds area, I know the sneak peek is free, but he is essentially selling LR tutorials.
Bill

Doug - thanks so much for posting! Your tutorials are awesome and everyone should own the dvd, imho :)

Alcina - glad you enjoyed the Radial Filter / Healing Brush video. There's some interesting, fun things you can do with some of the new technology and tools inside Lightroom 5 these days!

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 05:47 AM ----------

I just started using Lightroom 5 and am having trouble removing backscatter easily. Is there an easy and fast way to do this in Lightroom or do I have to use Photoshop?

Hi Hatul,

Lightroom’s Spot Removal tool (also called the Advanced Healing Brush) is designed for removing sensor dust and cleaning up spots of dirt on your lens, but you can certainly use it for backscatter too.

Lightroom 5 has added a new feature to the tool called Visualize Spots, which when active, turns your photo into a temporary black and white mask to help make locating and removing backscatter easier than ever.

One word of advice/caution: Remember, the tool was originally designed for removing sensor dust, meaning just a small amount of cleanup circles. If your image has tons of backscatter you want removed, Lightroom will do the job, but the program will most likely slow down significantly, (sometimes to a crawl) if the number of corrections you make goes above 30 or so based on my personal experience. For challenging edits like heavy backscatter, Photoshop’s cleanup tools may offer a better solution if a bogged down edit session bothers you.

On a side note, if you have both Lightroom and Photoshop, you can integrate them so your cleanup workflow gets the best from both applications.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 07:41 AM ----------

Shouldn't this be in the classifieds area, I know the sneak peek is free, but he is essentially selling LR tutorials.
Bill

bvanant - Thanks for the reply. If you use Lightroom I hope you had a chance to watch the Healing Brush / Radial Filter clip - there's some really cool tips inside I know you won't find anywhere else. Yes, it's true I sell all sorts of tutorials for Lightroom and Photoshop but I also try to provide plenty of free in-depth tutorials both in video and written formats. You'll find links to them here on ScubaBoard as well as other diving forums and of course my website.

When I release a new product I normally place those notices in either the Classified section or the section for Scuba Industry News with the help from the Admins. The tutorials however, are better placed here, under Tips and Techniques where they'll have the most targeted exposure towards the people who benefit most from them - underwater photographers. And, on the occasions when I do directly mention any of my current offerings in the forum (which is rare by the way) I do so in the Classifieds where they belong.

Often, I'll put up tutorials in a written format like this one that explains in great detail how to use Lightroom's Local Editing Tools. Or this one, that explains a Photoshop technique on quickly removing a color cast. But sometimes, it's just easier to watch a video clip rather than reading about the retouching process - for in-depth edits, a visual approach almost always carries more impact, and helps the reader better grasp the concept IMHO. These tutorials also link to my site so viewers can read the techniques I talk about in a nice layout that is easy to follow.

I'll be posting more tutorials for everyone to enjoy (both for Lightroom and Photoshop) in the upcoming months and hope you'll gain some valuable editing knowledge from them.

But I'll leave you with one last tutorial here that I posted a while back on ScubaBoard. It highlights many advanced uses for Photoshop's retouching tools when using the Clone Source panel. There are some fantastic tips in this article even for seasoned pros!

Bill - I like the nudis you have on your site, so I figured you might get a kick out of the tutorial above. I made the lessons during a workshop in Lembeh when someone asked about repairing a destroyed nudibranch. I hope you like it!

Happy Holidays everyone! :reindeer:

Doug

I want to know about the most handy way to do this Lightroom. Is there any other way or i have to do this using Photoshop applications?

I want to know about the most handy way to do this Lightroom. Is there any other way or i have to do this using Photoshop applications?

ossgraphics - Which technique are you referring to? You can remove backscatter, color correct, and do retouching all within Lightroom so it's possible to finish a large majority of your photos from within that application only. What are you having trouble with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom