Photo editing app for Mac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trpplp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been taking photos for a couple years, but never quite sure how to edit them, so I haven't. I have some great shots, but some still have the blue water hue to them. iPhoto sharpens the pics a little but doesn't get the blue out completely. I have seen some amazing things coming from Lightroom. I have heard of people using Aperture and pixelmator. What do you all use and why? How easy is it for a beginner to use??
Thanks!

The simplest thing is to download Lightroom and Aperture for 30 days free trial. I use LR for 99% of my pics, and getting rid of blue is not hard at all, but you should also try to get it right in-camera.

Bill

I did the Lightroom trial about 6 weeks ago, started right before my Bonaire trip. I am now a LR full time user. It takes a little more time/photo with LR then iPhoto, but worth it to me.

I am a Mac person too. I actually use iPhoto and am quite happy with it. I tried Aperture for a while, but went back to iPhoto. I find iPhoto easier and faster to use.

You did not mention what camera you are using, and if you are using external strobes. The blue hue comes from the red being filtered out at depth. If you use strobes, you can restore the colour by using strobe light instead of ambient light. For wide angle, you need to use some ambient light for the background. By shooting in RAW, you can white balance very easily with iPhoto or any other photo-editing software.

All I do is white balance, adjust contrast and sharpening a bit, remove backscatter, and crop a bit. iPhoto does all that quite well. If a photo requires more work than that, maybe it's better to just trash it.

Bill .... have you used Photoshop ? ........... I previously used Photoshop, but no longer have this.
Considering what to get, not sure how Lightroom compares

Picassa is free and works sometimes for simple editing. If you are lucky a couple clicks do it.

For more complicated stuff like removing some backscatter or bright spot I use some basic photoshop.

I use Aperture. You can custom set adjustments, name them and then apply to your photos. Makes it quick and easy. I also use Topaz Lab filters which are awesome and can be used with Aperture, LR, PS or iPhoto and on a Mac or PC.

Back
Top Bottom