Tips for a first time uw photographer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have my first dive trip with a uw camera coming up at the end of March. I'm shooting a G15 in a Nauticam housing with a single SS YS01 strobe.

I've read the manuals as well as most of The Underwater Photographer by Martin Edge.

I've also taken the empty housing for a test to 14' in the local high school pool.

I guess I'm asking for any advice you might have for me. From gear care and maintenance to strobe placement. Mistakes you've made or great successes. What you always do and what you never do. Travel tips. Boat smarts.

Any advice, no limits.

Any rig, not just the manufacturers I'm using.

I've combed over the Photo forums and picked up a lot, but would appreciate any help.

Thanks for the help.

PH

From my own experience - When I started taking photos UW, I had a Canon G12 camera in a Canon generic housing with a single strobe.
- Practice your buoyancy (if you are beginner diver) - make sure you can achieve neutral buoyancy
- Get a dome wet lens - going by Nauticam site, the Inon UWL-S100 ZM80 Wide Conversion Lens. Not necessary but ideal
- Get a second strobe - more light the merrier
- Always shoot in Raw format - later in post processing you can adjust the correct white balance.
- Strobe positioning is determined by the subject. Wide shot position, behind the camera and away from the body Macro, position strobe close to the camera
- Take photo's in Manual Mode you adjust aperture and shutter speed
- Look at exif of other photos so you can get a better understanding the settings mostly used
- Practice and Practice and Practice - take many shots

1) Take lots of shots
2) don't screw with the o-ring.
3) Learn your camera ahead of time - be able to use it with your eyes closed. This means you know all of the major controls without looking at them. While you fiddle with the camera, your subject is swimming away.
4) don't screw with the o-ring
5) always have the camera set for your next "standard shot" so you can simply close the shutter.
6) don't screw with the o-ring

I do not take my camera on the first dive of any trip. Get the rest of your gear squared away and make sure you are comfortable with the conditions. You will NOT see a whale shark on your first dive. NEVER.

Like learning golf, skiing, curling or snowboarding: work on 1 thing at a time. That means it may take 2 or 3 (or more) dives to work on that 1 thing - I use a "1 thing per day" rule. I am a slow (but happy) learner.

Create a routine for getting your camera ready to dive. Double check everything, and do it EVERY dive - no shortcuts. There is almost no such thing as a minor leak. A flood is extremely expensive and will mean no pictures for the rest of the trip.

2) don't screw with the o-ring.
QUOTE]

What do you mean? My understanding is that it's common practice to remove, inspect and relube the o-ring on a regular basis, although how often seems to be a point of debate.

Thanks for the advice.

PH

I can't give you camera advice. I can suggest that you work on your buoyancy and trim. Make sure they are correct for each and every shot before you play with your camera. Check your depth, time and air frequently. That camera is a huge distraction and drops your diving IQ by at least twenty or thirty points. Don't be caught out of air! Also, don't forget your buddy! Learn to be creative and a good buddy at the same time. This calls for exceptional situational awareness and discussing things before you splash.

for me, assemble everything the night before, including camera in housing. Do not open the housing unless you need to charge the battery (should have at least 2 batteries). When you open the housing to replace the battery, this is when you download your pictures from the camera, & clean and lube the housing o-ring. Clean and lube the o-ring every time you open the housing.

• Don't leave your camera in the camera rinse tank.
  • Don't use the mask rinse tank to rinse your camera.
  • Treat you camera like it's made out of a very thin glass.

Also practice with your camera fully assembled on dry land. This includes assembly, taking pictures, and disassembling it. I say take pictures with it, because you don't want to get to your tropical destination to find out that your strobe is not working properly because you have never used it before.

NetDoc: Thanks. Great advice. I like your links at the bottom and have some new pool test to work on.

cbrich: If you don't keep your camera in the boat's camera tank, where do you like to keep it? Is that tank just meant for rinsing? Not having the need to use it, I haven't given it much attention. The concern is for other cameras damaging yours? Given all the activity and gear on typical dive boat, I would think the camera tank would still be the safest place for it. Curious.

Thanks for all advice.

PH

I have mixed feelings about the camera tank as well. As you ascend, the mate may take your camera and put it in the rinse bucket. I usually remove it after I shed my gear and change over to the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom