Looking for articles on UW photo processing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use Photoshop CS4 and I'm reasonably proficient for topside but I'm struggling with my UW pictures (I shoot RAW). I could use a quick processing tutorial focused on UW photos.

Thanks,

Joss

Hey Joss,

You can use this guide I posted. It's based on Adobe Camera Raw but principles are the same for most RAW processing tools.
How to fix underwater photos - understanding Camera RAW

Hopefully I will upload a JPG Guide as well soon enough.

I use Photoshop CS4 and I'm reasonably proficient for topside but I'm struggling with my UW pictures (I shoot RAW). I could use a quick processing tutorial focused on UW photos.

Thanks,

Joss

Thanks,

Joss

I just logged on to ask the same question...heh. I'm using PS CC tho. You can process jpegs using ACR by right clicking on the image in Bridge and selecting open in ACR. There's a preference item that turns take on too.

You can use the white point adjustment dropper to reset the color temp rather than fooling around with the sliders. If there is something white in the image, just click on areas that you know to be white until you like the effect. I had already stumbled on the contrast, clarity and vibrance tools and have been using curves set to red, selecting a midpoint and micro adjusting the curve up using the up/down arrow keys. But I'm still not happy with the results.

I'm stuck with large jpeg since I picked up a Canon SD900 with a housing for $100. I can't see paying several thousand for a housing on my 5D2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom