Equipment Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lsmart

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am new to the hobby, and I have noticed several people mention that they have their photo equipment insured. I was wondering if there is a company or companies that specialize in insuring cameras and equipment for use in underwater photography.

Thanks in advance Luke

Any P&C company will do it. For a price.

If you have home owner or tennent insurance check with your current insurance company. Your gear is most likely already covered (if you have adequate coverage for your possessions). My gear is all included in my home owner policy. As are all my other possessions.

There is nothing special about scuba gear from an insurance perspective. No different than golf or ski gear. Or your kitchen pots. It has a value. It can be insured.

Thanks, I'll make sure I'm covered.

Another thing to do, even if they don't require it, is to give your insurance agent a list of the equipment you have, with serial numbers if possible. If something does get stolen, lost or damaged, the claims processing goes much faster that way.

Homeowners will cover loss. Breakage is iffy. And flooding a camera would probably not be covered. Specific dive insurance is worth it.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homeowners will cover loss. Breakage is iffy. And flooding a camera would probably not be covered. Specific dive insurance is worth it.
Agreed. It all depends upon your policy. So check the details with your agent.

If required, adding a rider to your existing policy should always be much cheaper than getting a third party policy. Many people do not know that and end up paying way too much by getting "special" insurance.

P.s. And don't confuse your agent by asking for "dive insurance". They do not sell ski or golf insurance either. But they do sell insurance to cover your possessions. Just tell them what you have and what type of perils you want to be covered for.

Back
Top Bottom