Metering Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShootingUnderwater.com

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi all,

There seems to be some debate on which metering mode to use so I'm looking for comments about what you use. I have a Canon dslr and usually use spot metering. Which do you use, what do you shoot, and can you tell the difference between modes? :confused:

If you shoot without strobes or take ambient light video it makes a difference. When you shoot with strobes it depends on the camera and if you shoot ttl or not. When you are in full manual metering is just an information for you. If you shoot TTL most cameras (especially canon) default to centre weighted average for the flash exposure anyway so whatever you do makes no difference in the end

i always used to use spot mode since i try to center my subject and there is often a large variation in light level across the scene. level and center weighted modes can easily get fooled by "bright" sand backgrounds.

now that i mostly shoot manual i do not pay very much attention to it anymore.

Hi all,

There seems to be some debate on which metering mode to use so I'm looking for comments about what you use. I have a Canon dslr and usually use spot metering. Which do you use, what do you shoot, and can you tell the difference between modes? :confused:

The only reason to use one metering pattern over another is if you understand the way a reflective light meter works (hint...18% gray), and further if you know how to interpret what the meter tells you. Chances are that if you are using spot, your exposures will be all over the map depending on what fits into the spot when you half press that shutter release. Not sure which Canon you have, but some have a spot as small as a few degrees. Spot metering is amazingly powerful and one of the best ways to take full control over the exposure, but again, ya need to know how to use and then interpret the meter in order to nail the exposure.

For underwater imaging with strobes, it pretty much makes no difference unless you are using TTL.

As far as your question about which we use, I assume everyone is a bit different, but for me personally, I shoot 100% manual exposure mode all the time (strobes and camera), and leave the camera in center weighted metering (but again, this makes no difference).

Since you are using spot metering, have a read here: What is spot Metering - Spot Metering Examples

Thanks Incident. I do shoot manual but assumed I'd get more accurate readings using "spot" to adjust my exposure. If it really doesn't matter, I can leave it or change to center-weight. I'll try it for fun this weekend. I'm shooting a 5DM3.

Back
Top Bottom