Is there anything comparable to Go Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whaack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am very interested in going to the small size video such as Go Pro from the large Sony video camera and housing. Just wondering if there are any comparable makes to the Go Pro or if that is the top of the line. Thanks

I haven't noticed any pricier brands - GoPro invented the genre and has pretty much dominated until late - but there are a number of less expensive products, some of which can share GoPro accessories and parts. I wish they would come out with a model that has some optical zoom.

There's the Sony and the JVC - different form factor but basically an Action Cam - i.e. fixed focus, no zoom etc. Neither is better than the Go Pro and worse than the Hero 4 in terms of specs. The JVC does have a built-in LCD but they put it on the side. The LCD on the Sony is only for camera functions - not framing.

Action Cam Cameras - Sports Cameras & Action Camcorders - Sony US
Action Camera | JVC ADIXXION

Something of an intermediate size that will produce much better video is the Sony RX-100 II, Panasonic GH4 or one of the BlackMagic models.
They're a lot more money though.

There's also an Intova action camera. I don't know if they still make it because Intova got shaken up hard recently, but they used to make a good, cheap alternative.

Sealife Micro HD. It's new, very simple to use, rechargeable, built-in red filter, internal memory, floodproof, etc. Very nice camera and much more affordable than a comparably-equipped GP. Way better stills than I ever got with a GoPro as well.

I have the Sony Action Cam; came with a waterproof housing that's good for over 150ft (according to the ad, I haven't taken it deeper than 40' but no problems so far!). Price-point when I bought it was roughly the same as Go Pros at the time. Like diversteve said, there is just an old-style LCD display on the Sony camera for camera functions, but since the camera is longer than it is wide, it kind of makes sense not to have a full framing screen there. I'm no expert, but for the sake of diving, the main differences I can see is that mask-mounts and filters are very easy to come by for the Go Pro. I have yet to find a place around me that sells anything like that for the Sony camera.

While there are others out there, I think GoPro has cornered the market with this. One big bennie for me is that I know wherever I am traveling accessories and replacement parts can be found rather easily. Also, if you're looking for a cost effective solution they reintroduced the Hero HD...a base model unit that can be had for under 150 bucks.

Can you expand on this? I hadn't heard anything. The Sport Pro was great (maybe better?) alternative to GP for diving.
There's also an Intova action camera. I don't know if they still make it because Intova got shaken up hard recently, but they used to make a good, cheap alternative.

Some people may not care but the Garmin is only a 1080P/30fps camera. The two better GoPro's (Black/Silver) shoot 1080/60fps and the Black also shoots 4K/30fps now. The Garmin does shoot 720P/60 but the GoPro's shoot 720P/120.

I'm seeing more 4K sets everywhere so I suspect that (unlike 3D) that may actually catch on soon. One of the better video sharing sites (Vimeo?) supports 4K now also. I'm not exactly an early adopter and I'm pretty sure there's a 4K set in my near future.

The Garmin is also IPX 7 so you have to buy the dive housing extra - $40
incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter in depth for up to 30 minutes

Go Pro includes it for $60 more. The 4 Silver also includes the LCD back now so the Garmin's is no advantage - and actually is smaller.

The Sealife actually shoots 1080P/30 or 720P/60 also. Any better HDTV is a 1080P set - only the smaller 32-36" models are standard at 720P since the viewing distance tends to be closer so there's no point in a 1080P/32 set unless you just want better resolution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom