Entanglement Drill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasprout

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas for entanglement drills in a pool. Any thought are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shoot a bag during a water polo game :)

(sorry just felt like being silly).

probably involves some monofilament and a few lead blocks and a float or 2.
Failing that you could always turn out the lights and throw a fishing net in.

its a difficult one to simulate.
maybe find a shallow mundane artificial reef/wreck in a quarry and set a few carful traps.

Have a friend weave about 20-30 yards of #36 nylon cord in & around you and your gear, then wrap you in a throw net so only one arm/hand (the opposite one you normally use) is free and your legs are pinned together (w/one fin missing).....Then drop you in the pool.....Oh, one more thing.....w/200 PSI left..........It'll make you appreciate a SHARP knife w/a BLUNT tip, EASILY accessible w/EITHER hand.......Happy diving !!!!!!!

What we do is black out a mask, wrap twine all around them. Pat them on the head to signal go. When they cut themselves free they follow a line around the pool with several obstacles. A 50 gallon barrel to go through, then throw a fish net over them. In the process they will lose a fin and quite possibly a mask... it's a great training, stop breath think react :dork2: I guess it is more of entanglement/stress inoculation training... just what we do

Easy one, just dive from a reef cattle boat. You will get entanglement even before you hit the water with all the additional snorkelers, swimmers, one dive a year divers.

I know this is an old post but we have some pvc tubing with fishing line weaved through holes that we made in the pvc piping frame. It is 4'x8' and we weight it down in the lake. We typically have a small object somewhere for the diver to find as well. We have a blacked out mask held in place near the line by a safety diver and get the diver to enter the water, they search for their mask on using a rope that leads to the entanglement prop, don mask and continue searching along the way. We do not allow the diver to cut the line, rather work through the entanglement.

I am looking for ideas for entanglement drills in a pool. Any thought are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Once or twice a year we do this. If you're looking to learn how to host these sessions then I help you contact people with experience. We call them "net sessions" and divers do rate them very highly. It's a lot of work but you would be amazed how many divers will voluntarily swim into a bow-net in controlled circumstances just to find out if they can get back out or not. These sessions are among our most popular.

R..

PVC framed tunnel. The diver has a black out mask. We have a volleyball net strung through the tunnel that is weighted down in various places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom