Safety helmet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveExplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My unit is currently searching for safety dive helmet. As of now we are using Protec, an older model.
I was wondering what type of helmet does other units have or are currently using.
There is a lot of useful information on the internet especially about cave diving helmet, which is good. But I wanted to hear from other PSD units and their recommendations. I think it would be also very useful to have option to strap lights and GoPro on the helmet.

Thanks. Dive safe.

Go to Divegearexpress.com and also take a look at some of the military helmets that can be adapted for diving.......

The problem I have found with impact protection helmets is they can become sea-anchors (parachutes) in high currents… like rushing rivers. An ideal helmet for Public Safety Divers would prevent water from getting under them. Basically a hood would have to cover them that also accommodates a FFM and spider.

Commercial diving hats are too heavy out of water for your work. The kind of helmets made for cave divers don’t have to deal with high speed currents.

Yes using a helmet in fast current can be problematic, but I would not be diving in a high current, in or near waterfall without having a good head protection. I´m also leaning to try Ops-Core plastic type helmet and see how that fill fit and work underwater. They dont have much foam and a pretty well open so water does´t trap inside it.

Some of our guys have the light monkey helmet. Not much padding, but you really don't need much for normal recovery diving, just bump protection.

I built one using a skateboard helmet, took the styrofoam padding out, and riveted the suspension from a construction hard hat in it. I found the helmet in the local park while running my dogs, and had an old hard hat in my garage... cost me ZERO!

I built one using a skateboard helmet, took the styrofoam padding out, and riveted the suspension from a construction hard hat in it. I found the helmet in the local park while running my dogs, and had an old hard hat in my garage... cost me ZERO!

Do you dive a FFM.

I am diving FFM...OTS. I am currently using a Stihl (for tree work) hard hat the has adjustable head band...overlapping straps, not a knob adjuster. I drilled a small hole in the top to allow venting of air. It works well so far.

Dive Team tx 11-22-14 A.jpgDive Team tx 11-22-14 B.jpgdive team car retrieval Chattahoochee1.jpgdive team car retrieval Chattahoochee2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 359

Back
Top Bottom