New PSd Team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f&rdiver241

Registered
Reaction score
I am a career firefighter looking for some input on some equipment we are looking at buyt for our new dive team. Currently we are considering the scubapro line, mainly the mk25/x650 first and second stage reg and either the knighthawk or the rec-tec bc's. anyone knowing of any pro's or con's to this equipment your inpt is greatly appreciated. if you would like to suggest some other equipment i will be glad to hear any of your suggestions. this equipment will be used in south mississippi in low to no vis freshwater dives, mainly on a search and recovery basis.

thanks

f&rdiver241:
I am a career firefighter looking for some input on some equipment we are looking at buyt for our new dive team. Currently we are considering the scubapro line, mainly the mk25/x650 first and second stage reg and either the knighthawk or the rec-tec bc's. anyone knowing of any pro's or con's to this equipment your inpt is greatly appreciated. if you would like to suggest some other equipment i will be glad to hear any of your suggestions. this equipment will be used in south mississippi in low to no vis freshwater dives, mainly on a search and recovery basis.

thanks
Why Scubapro? Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it at all. The reason I'm asking is are you picking it because there is a lot of talk or have you picked it by the research you've done?

You need to look at the type of diving you will be doing. If your diving warm, clear, clean water I'd say anything will work.
If you will be in dirty, polluted, yucky water I'd go with a dry bleed system.

Another thing to look at, is each diver going to be issued gear or is it going to be on the trucks? I don't like the truck gear idea, period.

Another thing is will it be a Rescue, Recovery or Rescue/Recovery team?

What kind of maint. budget will you have? Just covering the cost of equipment is not good enough. Maint. $$ is important. Scubapro is a sports car and more costly to service that Sherwood which is a truck with an underarm hose.

Look at them all, check carefully and decide wisely.

Good luck

Gary D.

f&rdiver241:

thanks

My initial reaction is that the regs are good, but what kind of diving are you really going to do?

I would be more inclined to go toward a full face mask and a hazmat rated dry suit. I would certainly be looking at a back inflation system and probably a backplate and wing for maximum flexability with doubles.

You should check the rules in your area to see if comms gear is required.

A lot of the PSD's around here use the Ocean Reef Neptune II full face mask with underwater communications. Lets you talk to other divers and topside.
Just my $0.02
Bob

our team will be fund through our newly accuired regional response to terrorism team. we will just be a subsidary of them. Quality is more of an issue we are trying to address than the monetary issue. we will be diving pond lakes and river, mostly mucky water with some what clear water occassionally. water temps in our area range from 50-80 degrees. I am new to the whole dive thing as is 4 of the 5 five divers we are trying to outfit. we will be strictly a search and recovery team with each diver being asigned his own gear. as for the reason for scuba pro, the two closest dive team in our area both use scuba pro. as i said earlier this equipment will be bought with federal grant money, so it has to be maintaned or replace when it needs to be. we are also getting the reef neptuneII. but for our basic certifications we are looking for a really good reg, not just a middle of the road one. we are looking at investing 60,000-80,000 for intial start up with a 10 man team with only five or six divers the rest being support personnel. like i said thi to just get us started, we are not trying to get to far ahead of oursleves right of the bat, but we do not want and p.o.s. equipment. we have plans to expand our equipment as our experience and training progress, no need in spending money to buy something you want be able to use for a year or so.

thanks for the input,eric

i forgot to mention that the one person intrested in the team that is cretified has not dove in 10 years. also we based our reg chose on the scuba safety lab test of the new regs for 2004 in which the scubapro mk25/x650 out scored all the rest

Good luck as starting a team can be tough but very rewarding in the end.

Being a recovery team gives you a lot of room on gear so go with what ever works for your team. Sounds like your off to a good start.

There is a lot more to a good working reg than the ease of breathing. Sometimes breathing to easy isn't the best way to go.

Get serious and spend $$$$ on good quality training. Make SURE ALL you members have a high comfort level in the old H2O.

DO NOT let peer pressure push any team member into anything, period.

Gary D.

As I think you will find, everyone will have an opinion on equipment and it will vary greatly. As Gary indicated, warm water, shallow diving, basically any reg will work well.

On the grander scheme of things, if I were to be given $80,000 for a 10 man/6 diver team, I can tell you the way I would head.

- AGA Masks with comm systems. Since much of the diving will be done in low to no visibility, the comm systems allow the divers to communicate directly if one of the divers were to get into trouble. They allow for diver to diver, diver to surface, and surface to diver communications. The full face masks also provides benefits to contaminated water, swift moving water, lower risk of losing a regulator, etc.. Tethered diving signals can indicate trouble, but not what it is.

- Drysuits- For contamimated water diving, the vulcanized type of suits work well and are easy to decon.

- Pony Bottles with splitter blocks.

- Since Public Safety Divers should be limited to 20 to 25 minute cycles, the tanks can be aluminum 80's.

- Simple guage consoles work. No real need for computers as the cycles and the depths are limited.

- I prefer a back inflate, weight integrated BC. This is not what is generally recommended for PSD, but more of a personal preference.

- Lights and back up lights. Shears and back-up cutting tools.

- Training, Education, Drills, skills maintenance, and start all over.

Well this is much more information than you asked for, you got me excited about having $80K to spend on a PSD team. Generally, we have about $800 to spend.

Learn, dive safe, never do a dive you are not comfortable with performing, and support the other members who also chose not to dive. Recovery is not rescue and waiting for better conditions is not a crime.

Dan

Boater Dan:
As I think you will find, everyone will have an opinion on equipment and it will vary greatly. As Gary indicated, warm water, shallow diving, basically any reg will work well.

On the grander scheme of things, if I were to be given $80,000 for a 10 man/6 diver team, I can tell you the way I would head.

- AGA Masks with comm systems. Since much of the diving will be done in low to no visibility, the comm systems allow the divers to communicate directly if one of the divers were to get into trouble. They allow for diver to diver, diver to surface, and surface to diver communications. The full face masks also provides benefits to contaminated water, swift moving water, lower risk of losing a regulator, etc.. Tethered diving signals can indicate trouble, but not what it is.

- Drysuits- For contamimated water diving, the vulcanized type of suits work well and are easy to decon.

- Pony Bottles with splitter blocks.

- Since Public Safety Divers should be limited to 20 to 25 minute cycles, the tanks can be aluminum 80's.

- Simple guage consoles work. No real need for computers as the cycles and the depths are limited.

- I prefer a back inflate, weight integrated BC. This is not what is generally recommended for PSD, but more of a personal preference.

- Lights and back up lights. Shears and back-up cutting tools.

- Training, Education, Drills, skills maintenance, and start all over.

Well this is much more information than you asked for, you got me excited about having $80K to spend on a PSD team. Generally, we have about $800 to spend.

Learn, dive safe, never do a dive you are not comfortable with performing, and support the other members who also chose not to dive. Recovery is not rescue and waiting for better conditions is not a crime.

Dan
Dan brought up some good points.

It costs us roughly 5-6K to set up each diver on our team with the basics. So 8K isn't out of line at all or for that matter a lot of money when devided by 10.

"- Training, Education, Drills, skills maintenance, and start all over". Read this over and over and stick to it.

" I prefer a back inflate, weight integrated BC. This is not what is generally recommended for PSD". For recovery I'd say OK but for any rescue work, I will use that word I hate NEVER as standard equipment. But there may be a time it happens.

Some of the AGA atyle masks are to high profile to work good in swift water so use caution here. I use a Cressi for swift water. It anchors good and has a small surface area for the current to rip at.

"- Pony Bottles with splitter blocks". They have their place and should be used wisely.

"- Since Public Safety Divers should be limited to 20 to 25 minute cycles, the tanks can be aluminum 80's". Kind of a rule of thumb. Each diver will have his/her own comfort level and working around that is better in my opinion. Where I might be fine at 45 minutes another diver might be exhausted in 15. Take this on a case by case.

"- Simple guage consoles work. No real need for computers as the cycles and the depths are limited". I will disagree here. It is much easier to work with computers. Some can give you a bottom profile which is great for future dive planning and should the need arise in court. In recovery OK but with rescue the computers have made my world a lot safer. There are benifits to both but if the technology is there use it.

"- Lights and back up lights. Shears and back-up cutting tools". YES. Other than rescue I take a light on every working dive. The majority of our dives are at night so we are used to packing them around. My UK main light may or may not go but my smaller back up goes 90+% of the time. Day or night.

" Drysuits- For contamimated water diving, the vulcanized type of suits work well and are easy to decon". Either will be OK and get foamed after a dive. Squeaky clean:wink:. Just stay away from Neoprene, crushed or otherwise. To long a drying time and hard to clean.

I'd work on a 10 diver team and train the rest of your crews in basic surface tending. A diver on both sides of the line has a better understanding of whats going on.

We have a 10 person team. Right now it is 8 because we can't fill the other two positions. It demanding. So much so that roughly half of our department has been on the team in the past. So we have plenty of tenders when needed. All our new hires spend at least a week in marine and part of that time is working with the divers.

Don't judge what your team needs by the team next door. Even if they have like waters and conditions your needs might not be the same. Use that knowledge as your root. Strong roots breed strong plants.

Our surrounding counties are a good example. We have just about everything fresh water can offer including 2 dams and a power plant. Most things we lose stay with us except for the last 6 miles of river. Then it goes to Washington.

To the west they have more dams and power plants, more nasty rivers and a lot of small lakes. They keep about everything.

To the east a few small lakes, alpine lakes and lots of creeks and rivers. Everything they lose in the river comes to us someday.

To the south just a lot of creeks and one major river. They lose it we get it.

So you can see even being next door we have different needs.

Again, Good luck and count the gray hairs now. They will increase.

Gary D.

PERSONNEL is of the utmost importance. You've gotta have the right people. I've been on my team for five years and have seen two team members come and go due to not being to handle some of the strenuous conditions we frequently face. Training is great but real scenarios expose weak divers.

My team is a primarily Scubapro equipment based, BC's and regs. We use AGA masks with Divelink comms for U/W chatting. Drysuits for contaminated water diving is pretty much our uniform of the day. We're in south Florida so we deal with gators and sharks regularly which keeps things interesting.

Good luck with your team.

f&rdiver241:

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom