Tribolube... have you tried it yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, Tribolube made it onto the scene earlier this year, and they had a big presence at DEMA. I want to know: Have you actually tried it and if so, how did it work for you? I know he has been giving out samples and my neighbor, Dayo Scuba was very impressed with the customer service. Let's hear your stories!!!

Yes, I've used it - I got some samples from Dave at the DEMA booth.

I will be switching to Tribolube when our supply of Christolube is gone. Although the Tribolube is a little bit less expensive, it's not the cost, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't mind paying extra for quality.

My feel for the Tribolube 71 is that it's just...better. It has a better feel in the hand, more refined and consistent. It's a subjective opinion I know, but there it is.

I also like the removal spray, the KO2 stuff, it takes the lube off my hands and equipment like magic, which occasionally became a PITA with Christolube. I suppose it would work equally well with Christolube, come to think.

Anyway, there it is. It impresses me as just a bit better in quality, and cheaper to boot.

All the best, James

Hey Pete,

Below I have pasted a section from a post http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/257142-oxygen-safe-lube.html I made in October. I have since re-built a few regulators and am very happy with the results.

Here are a few helpful links…if we could get Mr. Dave Lodwick (Tribolube71)
to put a web link in his signature, that would be great.
http://aerospacelubricants.thomasnet.com/viewitems/oxygen-compatible-scuba-lubricants/tribolube-71-2

http://aerospacelubricants.thomasne...01231&keyprod=3001235&SchType=2&keyword=scuba

http://www.divesports.com/SearchResults.asp

Couv

I was recently sent a free sample of Tribolube 71 from Aerospace Lubicants compliments of Dave Lodwick (Tribolube71). As it happens, I was going to rebuild one of my second stages so I decided to do a side by side comparison with the Christo-lube. Please note that I am not an engineer; I'm just a do-it-yourself guy with a background in aviation maintenance. My only knowledge of lubricants is from using them and reading the data sheets made available online, etc.

The information I received with the sample indicates that it is O2 compatible up to 100% and the temp range is good down into the cryogenic range and up to +280 deg C.

The new kid looks, feel, smells ( I omitted the taste test) almost exactly like Christo-lube except the 71 seemed to be slightly more viscous. Also, I placed a pea sized amount of each on a piece of cardboard and the 71 seem to bleed less oil out of the test sample. Perhaps we can get a tribologist (handy word I just picked up while researching lubricants) to explain why this happens and what the implications are.

At any rate, I think this lube is a welcome addition to the O2 friendly lube family (Krytox, Christo-lube 111 and 116, Bracote 806, Fomblin) we use on diving equipment as it seems to to the same job for a considerably lower price.

Last edited:
Good stuff! I have sent this link to Tribolube71, our resident expert on the stuff!

FDog, they make a spray to get it off of you and the gear? Now that's great!

Everyone, have the manufacturers weighed in on this yet?

Couv,

Happy to oblige. My information is:

David Lodwick
Aerospace Lubricants, Inc.
Account Executive
614-878-3600 Office
614-878-1600 Fax
david@aerospacelubricants.com
Synthetic Lubricants, Grease, Chain & Gear Oil Manufacturers - Aerospace Lubricants

Furthermore here is some data to digest:

First, we are glad to be part of this site and I hope to supply good information to the ScubaBoard Forums. I wish to also offer An Alternate to the widely used ChristoLube to the diving industry as a whole. The family of products we manufacture is a complete package. The package includes O2 grease, Protectant, and a solvent to easily clean the grease off. This is an attempt to offer everything a diver needs to operate safely an offer peace of mind as you are out there diving. If you have an interest we are willing to get you a sample to test and evaluate on your semi closed and closed circuit rebreather. Tribolube 71 and Tribolube 66 are O2 compatible in 100%O2 environments. This is not a retail thread as we are the manufacturer we are interested in those that might consider to become distribution networks for the product. I would like to thank you in advance for your interest and participation. If you email me I can send you the testing documents and technicals on the product. This email will include the military qualification MIL-PRF-27617 the standard for O2 compatibility in high concentrations of oxygen. I thank you in advance for the opportunity to serve the open , semi and closed circuit rebreather community as a competitor to the ChristoLube grease mentioned.

Second, The PTFE particles that thicken the grease come in various sizes that accommodate (particle size and surface area) most seek to place the smallest particle with the most surface area as a ratio to the oil that it thickens, to become grease. The residue you can see in the ChristoLube afterwards is the ineffective thickener left behind as the oil is lost. None of these proponents are soluble except in themselves. This is characterized by their molecular weight. Tribolube has particle sizes in the range of .5 microns compared to 5 microns of the grease mentioned. The Tribolube PTFE is grown in situ and is crystalline to maximize the surface area (More oil will coalesce with less thickener). What this means to you is there will not be the cookie dough like residue I had heard of for the 5 years I worked for Lubrication Technology making ChristoLube for the diving community. Tribolube 71 replaces the ChristoLube mcg111. Tribolube 71 is for static and dynamic applications. This grease is PFPE oil thickened with PTFE (Teflon) has a lighter viscosity and a wider operating range. The grease is based on a linear chemistry. Last, we look forward to your evaluation of the product. I have more detailed information I can send to anyone that wants it. Just PM me or email me so I can send it to you. Hope this helps define the differences, and I realize this post is pretty technical. I wanted to give you all the best explanation possible. Thanks for the question. Please let me know if there is anything else I can explain, do not hesitate to ask.

Hey Pete,

Below I have pasted a section from a post http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/257142-oxygen-safe-lube.html I made in October. I have since re-built a few regulators and am very happy with the results.

Here are a few helpful links©Êf we could get Mr. Dave Lodwick (Tribolube71)
to put a web link in his signature, that would be great.
http://aerospacelubricants.thomasnet.com/viewitems/oxygen-compatible-scuba-lubricants/tribolube-71-2

Aerospace Lubricants, Inc. - Search Results

http://www.divesports.com/SearchResults.asp

Couv

I was recently sent a free sample of Tribolube 71 from Aerospace Lubricants compliments of Dave Lodwick (Tribolube71). As it happens, I was going to rebuild one of my second stages so I decided to do a side by side comparison with the Christo-lube. Please note that I am not an engineer; I'm just a do-it-yourself guy with a background in aviation maintenance. My only knowledge of lubricants is from using them and reading the data sheets made available online, etc.

The information I received with the sample indicates that it is O2 compatible up to 100% and the temp range is good down into the cryogenic range and up to +280 deg C.

The new kid looks, feel, smells ( I omitted the taste test) almost exactly like Christo-lube except the 71 seemed to be slightly more viscous. Also, I placed a pea sized amount of each on a piece of cardboard and the 71 seem to bleed less oil out of the test sample. Perhaps we can get a tribologist (handy word I just picked up while researching lubricants) to explain why this happens and what the implications are.

At any rate, I think this lube is a welcome addition to the O2 friendly lube family (Krytox, Christo-lube 111 and 116, Bracote 806, Fomblin) we use on diving equipment as it seems to to the same job for a considerably lower price.

Hello David,

From your web site:
TRIBOLUBE 71 primary characteristic is that it uses PTFE that has not been irradiated. Non-irradiated PTFE over long term exposure has demonstrated it does not corrode aluminum or anodized aluminum.

Why does irradiating PTFE make it corrosive, PH change perhaps? Given this knowledge, why would a manufacturer use that process? Which manufactures use that process, i.e. ChristoLube, Krytox, Braycote, etc.

Thanks,

Couv

There are a few manufacturers that Irradiate the PTFE then Jet Mill it (air milling), It makes the particle friable or more brittle so the PTFE particle will fracture into a smaller particle that is irregular and jagged in structure for more surface area. The Irradiated particle can be heat treated to bake off the residual. but if that is not done there is the possibility for it to react with freshly rubbed metal surfaces(aluminum, titanium, and magnesium). This can release LEWIS ACID
which in turn can produce hydrogen fluoride gas. I can't tell you which ones use this PTFE but they are. AS THE CONSUMER YOU SHOULD ASK THE SUPPLIER OF YOU O2 GREASE AND FIND OUT. I can tell you though that the PTFE we use in Tribolube 71 is grown in situ as a crystalline form, and is absolutely not bombarded with gama radiation as a part of the manufacturing process. Good Question. Keep them coming.It is time the scuba community had an alternate choice for what they use in their equiptment. We are happy to be considered as that choice.

Thanks David, a nice concise description of the kinetics. Hadn't known that about your crystal sizes, excellent info, and place me definitely in the "sold on the product" column.

NetDoc, yes, the solvent is in a spray can and is sooooo worth it!

All the best, James

Tribolube71; are you guys going to be at Beneath the Sea in New Jersey in March 2009?

Henrik

Henrik,

Dave has moved into the big time now....has his own sub-forum
in the Question and Answers for Manufacturers forum.
It might be best to ask there.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom