Question about Silicone lube and inhalation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Afishianado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is food grade Silicone and specifically the Triolube spray safe for inhalation? Specifically I mean that if I use a light film of it to lube and protect my 2nd stage parts...diaphragm, o-rings, etc when it goes into storage at the end of the season (or during for that matter), does it need to be cleaned prior to use? If my 2nd stage diaphragm is moving back and forth and sheds some of this stuff can you breath it it and it be safe? Does your body metabolize it? or does it accumulate? I have done some searching around and cannot find a good answer spelled out.

Food grade silicone pans are safe to cook with but not to eat.

Tribolube Si spray contains isopropyl alcohol as a propellant which should not be breathed directly, but this will evaporate or off gas in a few hours. If you wait till the treated area is dry or cured it should not pose a problem. As for the silicone grease 2080 I would not try to inhale chucks of the grease but if applied to parts and air flowing over them without carrying grease with it should be “ok”. I would take caution depending on the percentage of O2 that is used. If it is nitrox we wouldn't recommend use in air/breathing equipment. Silicone has been used since 1943 and I have not heard any detrimental effects physiologically. Tribolube 71 will protect you winterized/stored gear without the silicone. It will need cleaned completely for O2 clean as required for oxygen service for EANx and higher. If my 2nd stage diaphragm is moving back and forth and sheds some of this stuff can you breath it it and it be safe? Here are two links to documents that deal with Dimethylpolysiloxane.
195. Dimethylpolysiloxane (FAO Nutrition Meetings Report Series 46a)
Dimethyl poly siloxane - toxicity, ecological toxicity and regulatory information

You will find that there will not be any significant issues from silicones unless they are rendered to vapor with excessive heat. I hope this helps.

Food grade silicone pans are safe to cook with but not to eat.[/QUOTE]

Silicone compound, e.g.. oil, spray, lubricant, grease, should not be used on a silicone part like a second stage diaphragm. The part will absorb the compound and distort. The best way to treat a diaphragm and similar parts is a good soap and water cleaning and let dry prior to installation. Even grease like Tribolube71 that does not contain any silicone should not be used as it will serve as an adhesive for foreign matter.

O-rings (unless they are made from silicone) would be ok, but again, there are better products than silicone to use. You may as well get a O2 safe grease to treat your parts anyway.

Couv

Back
Top Bottom