take control of corrosion in your regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRIBOLUBE71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over the years I listened to problems that occur concerning regulators. The Tribolube® EPO₂ Protectant was designed to stop the corrosion of the brass parts inside regulators. Tribolube® EPO₂ accomplishes this with surface pacification. It puts a light coating of PFPE material on the surface and blocks the elements contaminants (solids, liquids, and gasses). Tribolube® EPO₂ stops corrosion on the surface if applied properly. This corrosion reaction is called Electrophoresis. Electrophoresis is the loss of electrons and is the natural state of decay or corrosion of metals. Tribolube® EPO₂ is dielectric. Tribolube® EPO₂ is not miscible in water, so it will not dissolve, be diluted, or wash off with water. Tribolube® KO₂ solvent removes Tribolube® EPO₂ completely, if for some reason it became necessary. Use Tribolube® EPO₂ on inflator mechanisms’ and fix problem areas that exist with BC’s and BCD’s. Properly treatment will stop corrosion and sticking issues during deployment, inflation, and deflation. We recommend using Tribolube®71 grease for connectors, spring caps, and environmental seal caps. There is no need to heavily coat parts with Tribolube®71, normally all you need is a thin film of grease. Always follow the lubrication requirements as directed by the original equipment manufacturer. One of the biggest issues divers deal with is oxidation and corrosion. Welding of metallic parts often results from galvanic corrosion, where contact is made between two dissimilar metals. The most common pairings represented are: brass & aluminum, stainless & aluminum, and nickel/chrome plated brass and aluminum. Solidified salt is caustic and can cause a weld like appearance; however it is more likely a cathodic reaction where one metal is sacrificially corroded. Galvanic corrosion forms quickly and causes expansion of one the metals in threaded assemblies, and valves. In cases where maintenance is overdue corrosion will fuse parts together as if welded or Super Glued. This makes it extremely difficult to disassemble your equipment. A protective coating of Tribolube® EPO₂, if properly applied completely stops corrosion. Even if the parts are being flushed with fresh water, galvanic corrosion is still an issue and builds up over time. Reapply or request a protective coating of Tribolube® EPO₂ during annual maintenance at your local dive shop. You can safely reapply Tribolube® EPO₂ in common problem areas and on parts more frequently.
Tribolube® EPO₂ was the only thing that resolved an ongoing problem during assembly, for one of our customers. Tribolube® EPO₂ stopped the cyanoacrylate (SuperGlue) from fusing small internal moving parts together. Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for fast-acting adhesives such as methyl 2-cyanoacrylate and ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like SuperGlue and Krazy Glue. For this application Tribolube® EPO₂ must be properly applied on the surface to achieve desired results. There are standard operating procedures we recommend to give you the best results. Shake the bottle a few times prior to using. Keep the container closed when not in use. Do not leave the bottle open in an area that that is hot. Heat will increase the potential for evaporative loss. Try to store Tribolube® EPO₂ in an area that remains cool. For the best results we recommend storing Tribolube® EPO₂ in a freezer. When spraying Tribolube® EPO₂ on a surface or part, a fine mist will achieve an optimal protective coating. Make sure to completely coat all the surfaces that require protection, and consider all angles to minimize unprotected areas and maximize the protection.

We met with Jeff Bozanic author of Mastering Rebreathers during the DEMA show in 2008, and introduced him to the Tribolube® product line. He agreed to evaluate and do in field testing with Tribolube® 71 oxygen compatible grease in dynamic and static applications, including the DSV for his rebreather. Jeff used Tribolube® EPO₂ protectant on electrical connections and relays and various closed circuit rebreather systems and parts. The Tribolube® KO₂ oxygen compatible solvent was used to quickly remove Tribolube®71, and the dried out residue of the other oxygen grease. We are happy include his results.

I just wanted to drop you a note to let you know how pleased I have been with Tribolube® 71 and Tribolube® EPO₂. I have been using the products for well over a year now, and have found them both to be vastly superior to other products I have used. I have been especially pleased with your oxygen-compatible lubricant, Tribolube® 71. With other products I had problems with the lubricants drying out or caking on the equipment they were supposed to be lubricating. This caused me to use standard silicone greases on parts of my rebreather’s, and oxygen-compatible lubricants only on those components I absolutely had to. I have had none of these problems with Tribolube® 71, and now use it on all of my rebreather parts and o-rings. Tribolube® EPO₂ has done a fantastic job of preventing corrosion in areas that were previously problematic. In particular, I have been very pleased with the corrosion resistance it has provided on the brass parts of the rebreather mouthpieces I use. This has been especially helpful in the internal components that are often exposed to salt water, low concentrations of dissolved calcium hydroxide from the absorbents, and other harsh liquids. I now recommend your products to my students and other divers.
Thank you for the fine products you manufacture.
Sincerely,
Jeffrey Bozanic

Would the EPO2 product be appropriate for coating tank valve threads to prevent galvanic problems between the the brass/chrome valve threads and aluminum tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom