Press Release: 5thD-X DIR Technical Diving DVD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5thD-X

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Technical DVD

An in-depth look at the skills needed for technical & trimix diving.

See more info:
http://www.5thd-x.com

Pre Order Now!!! (Delivery 08/02/06)
http://5thdx.purehost.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=188

techbox3002.jpg

This Technical DVD takes a closer look at the skills and knowledge required for safe, effective technical & trimix diving. This DVD takes a unique approach by combining 27 technical skill videos (all demonstrated in full technical gear and including Instructor voice overs and "Grease Pencil Illustrations") with support materials, including valve management flow charts and the unique 9 failures test flow sheets. All are designed to help divers (instructors/students/technical/cave/wreck) become safer, more proficient and, ultimately, thinking divers.

Skills included are:
(Example of video from DVD) http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/dvds/video/3BottleStageMoveDemo-1.mov

Line:
Individual:
- Primary, Secondary, Reel Handling and Juggling, Tie Points, End Tie, Recovery
Team:
- Positioning, Light Awareness, Tempo

No Mask
Signals
- Descend, Ascend, Level Out, Thumbs, OK
No Mask Direct Ascent
No Mask Exit and Ascent with Line

9 Failures
- Right Post Fixable, Right Manifold, Left Post Failure Mistaken For Right

Stage work
1 Bottle
- Trim, Dump, SPG, Stage Switch, Stage Stow
2 Bottle
- Trim, Dump, SPG, Single bottle passing, multi bottle passing, 2 Bottle Ascent Example
3 bottle
- Trim with D-ring detail, SPG, Dump, Stage Move, 3 Bottle Ascent Example

**Click highlighted skills to view sample of skill video's.
http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/dvds/video/3BottleStageMoveDemo-1.mov

Bonus features include:

9 failures test flow sheets (All 9 failures are tested) - See Example of Failure # 6
http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/dvds/video/Failure6.mov
Technical/Trimix instructor voice-over highlights key points
"Grease Pencil" illustrations flesh out even more detail, and increase visual retention
Flow Charts
Ratio Deco
Battle Field Calculations
Awesome video of actual Technical Dives conducted worldwide

This DVD-ROM content will familiarize you with the practical material prior to taking a DIR diving technical and trimix class and will allow you to review the in-water skills in detail after your class. 5thD-X continues to innovate and educate.

Questions and comments? http://forum.5thd-x.com

Cost: $44.95 plus shipping
Pre Order Cost (Closes July 31): $39.95 (Will ship August 2, 2006)

Orders:

Pre Order It*.
http://5thdx.purehost.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=188

Domestic Shipping: USPS using Priority Mail Flat - Rate Envelope (Small)
International Shipping: USPS using Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Small)

Questions and comments? http://forum.5thd-x.com

Submit your review here

Mod note: the review below was by CALI68 from the 5thD-X website and posted here by 5thD-X. This note and the quotes below have been added for clarity.
CALI68:
I was over AG's yesterday and I saw the DVD. It's absolutely friggin' incredible. Much like the other DVD's my first impression was amazement. The skills are demonstrated with absolute perfection and the team failures are demonstrated then broken down step by step. Where on earth were these dvd's when I first started?! I would have killed to have this dvd to watch before my tech class!

Much like the jump from The Intro to Tech course to The Technical Diver course this DVD steps up accordingly. Much much more detail, much more advanced skills, particularly team failures with line and bottle(s). In one scene we see AG juggling three bottles while not moving an inch either way (up or down). The buoyancy control is sickening, the lack of fumbling for the right clip is down right spooky. But this DVD isn't about how great AG looks in the water, the fact that he has such control affords us all the opportunity to how these complex skills are executed.

The real highlight of this DVD is The Technical Diver style team failures and the breaking down of how to fix any given failure. Rather than just watching AG do valve drills, in this DVD we see Fasil (the "student") go maskless while AG is running line and we get a chance to watch these failures fixed and broken down. We see post failures, manifold failures and the solutions to each one demonstrated with the kind of precision and calm that we should all strive for.

After watching and studying the failures you can quiz yourself with an additional quick time quiz that's located within the dvd rom contents folder that Joe has created regarding all the failures. It really makes you think.

..and thankfully no footage of me holding Tom's hand.

This DVD is really something.

-Chris

Does this DVD encompass much or any of the content taught in your previously released DVDs?

I'm trying to figure out if someone who has not purchased any of your DVDs to date could buy this one and still have the examples shown in the previous DVDs plus added demonstrations of other skills more appropriate to a more advanced level of diving.

If not, what do the previous DVDs contain that this new DVD does not?

In that same vein, how does this new DVD stand apart from the older DVDs with regard to content and scope?

Thanks.

Christian

5thD-X:
I was over AG's yesterday and I saw the DVD. It's absolutely friggin' incredible. Much like the other DVD's my first impression was amazement. The skills are demonstrated with absolute perfection and the team failures are demonstrated then broken down step by step. Where on earth were these dvd's when I first started?! I would have killed to have this dvd to watch before my tech class!

Much like the jump from The Intro to Tech course to The Technical Diver course this DVD steps up accordingly. Much much more detail, much more advanced skills, particularly team failures with line and bottle(s). In one scene we see AG juggling three bottles while not moving an inch either way (up or down). The buoyancy control is sickening, the lack of fumbling for the right clip is down right spooky. But this DVD isn't about how great AG looks in the water, the fact that he has such control affords us all the opportunity to how these complex skills are executed.

The real highlight of this DVD is The Technical Diver style team failures and the breaking down of how to fix any given failure. Rather than just watching AG do valve drills, in this DVD we see Fasil (the "student") go maskless while AG is running line and we get a chance to watch these failures fixed and broken down. We see post failures, manifold failures and the solutions to each one demonstrated with the kind of precision and calm that we should all strive for.

After watching and studying the failures you can quiz yourself with an additional quick time quiz that's located within the dvd rom contents folder that Joe has created regarding all the failures. It really makes you think.

..and thankfully no footage of me holding Tom's hand.

This DVD is really something.

-Chris

Chris,
I'm sure this is a great DVD, especially if it is like 5th-D-X's previous ones. What's confusing me is how you can post an ad for the DVD then follow up with a review of it.

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes regardless,
Dave

Christian

First of all this is not the same Chris that wrote the review but Christian, so I will answer you questons below one at a time.

> Does this DVD encompass much or any of the content taught in your previously released DVDs?

I'm trying to figure out if someone who has not purchased any of your DVDs to date could buy this one and still have the examples shown in the previous DVDs plus added demonstrations of other skills more appropriate to a more advanced level of diving.

If not, what do the previous DVDs contain that this new DVD does not?

Excellent questions, as there is much overlap in the skills. However ,this DVD is a step apart in terms of subject material. Whereas Essentials and Intro to Tech had similar skills (with slightly different emphasis from the Rec vs. Tech perspective), this DVD contains skills that we've never used before. Ever.

This DVD does not have ANY of the basic skills, including propulsion techniques, basic reg and mask skills, ascents, air sharing or toxing diver. It does include trim with doubles and deco, bottle stage switching and stowing. Also, some of the bonus videos from the Intro To Tech DVD are fleshed out (i.e. 9 Failures, no mask, and line) more fully with more explanation. The thinking is that at this level, divers don't need to see yet another frog kick, and quite honestly, there wasn't room for it.

In that same vein, how does this new DVD stand apart from the older DVDs with regard to content and scope?

In terms of pure content, this DVD encompasses Technical Diver, Trimix I and Trimix II, moving the diver from doubles and a single sling bottle to doubles and 3 bottles . As stated before, the emphasis is on the more complex skills such as bottle handling, no mask drills and more. It's meant as a complement to our training, with a slightly different format. Instead of a linear progression through building block format skills, it's arranged in 4 separate sections that deal with different aspects, from line to stage work and so on. We're excited, because this may be the first time many of you have seen any of these type of skills in an educational video.

My personal favorite: the 9 failures test. It's really a great tool for developing a thinking diver.

From a numbers perspective, it's our longest to date with 90 minutes of video and explanation broken into roughly 25 different videos. See that first post for a full description.

Our pleasure :)

5thD-X

5thD-X:
Christian

First of all this is not the same Chris that wrote the review but Christian, so I will answer you questons below one at a time.

Excellent questions, as there is much overlap in the skills. However ,this DVD is a step apart in terms of subject material. Whereas Essentials and Intro to Tech had similar skills (with slightly different emphasis from the Rec vs. Tech perspective), this DVD contains skills that we've never used before. Ever.

This DVD does not have ANY of the basic skills, including propulsion techniques, basic reg and mask skills, ascents, air sharing or toxing diver. It does include trim with doubles and deco, bottle stage switching and stowing. Also, some of the bonus videos from the Intro To Tech DVD are fleshed out (i.e. 9 Failures, no mask, and line) more fully with more explanation. The thinking is that at this level, divers don't need to see yet another frog kick, and quite honestly, there wasn't room for it.

In terms of pure content, this DVD encompasses Technical Diver, Trimix I and Trimix II, moving the diver from doubles and a single sling bottle to doubles and 3 bottles . As stated before, the emphasis is on the more complex skills such as bottle handling, no mask drills and more. It's meant as a complement to our training, with a slightly different format. Instead of a linear progression through building block format skills, it's arranged in 4 separate sections that deal with different aspects, from line to stage work and so on. We're excited, because this may be the first time many of you have seen any of these type of skills in an educational video.

My personal favorite: the 9 failures test. It's really a great tool for developing a thinking diver.

From a numbers perspective, it's our longest to date with 90 minutes of video and explanation broken into roughly 25 different videos. See that first post for a full description.

Our pleasure :)

5thD-X
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Christian

Great. Sorry for the late reply we were just down in San Diego teaching a Wreck Penetration, Gas Blending and Essentials class.

Andrew

loquat149:
Chris,
I'm sure this is a great DVD, especially if it is like 5th-D-X's previous ones. What's confusing me is how you can post an ad for the DVD then follow up with a review of it.

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes regardless,
Dave

No no no that was AG posting my review from the 5thd-x web site. I'm Chris. What he forgot to do was say "the following is a review from our web site".

The DVD rocks btw.

-Chris

We just wanted to thank everyone for the support of the 5thD-X Technical DVD. The pre order sales have being overwhelming to say the least. We have closed the Pre Orders at 250 units and decided to release the DVD.

The DVD can be purchased TODAY at regular pricing and shipping. So if you have not placed your order and want it shipped today then you can do it at this link

http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowEStore.jsp?rtnPt=0&id=212804&isPreview=true

We will be shipping the pre orders as soon as we receive stock. Once again thanks for all the support.

Andrew Georgitsis

CALI68:
No no no that was AG posting my review from the 5thd-x web site. I'm Chris. What he forgot to do was say "the following is a review from our web site".

The DVD rocks btw.

-Chris
Chris,

Thanks for that explanation. I was unsure, as well.

I've edited Andrew's post above to make that clear.

Thanks.

Christian

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom