Digital Photo Workshops in Yap and Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Just wanted to let you know about two Photo Workshops for 2006 in Yap and Bali.

The first is from July 12-19, 2006 in Yap at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel. This one will be hosted by Tim Rock, Chris Bangs, and myself and is timed around the full moon for the best manta action and clearest water. Yap is known as one of the best Manta Ray locations on the planet with warm tropical waters year round. There will be daily seminars, lots of diving with fantastic manta opportunities as well as lots of macro critters to boot! The Manta Man himself, Bill Acker, will be giving a special talk on mantas as an added bonus. The hotel has been completely remodelled and is now home to a MICRO BREWERY!!! So, when we are not talking photo there will be lots of time spent with a few pints to talk tales about who saw the biggest manta.

The second workshop is at the Scuba Seraya Resort in Tulamben, Bali from October 8-14, 2006. The timing of this one is perfect as that is the time of year when the massive Mola Molas (ie Sunfish) come close to the reef for cleaning. Bali is known throughout the world as a macro diving heaven with photo opportunities galore. All the weird critters that made muck diving famous are found in the waters of Bali. Tulamben is also the home of the Liberty Wreck which hosts lots of WA opportunities. And of course the resort has its own Spa/Massage facilities for those tired bones. Tim Rock and myself will be hosting this workshop as well as Mola Mola expert Michael Cortenbach.

For full details on both of these workshops please visit: http://www.shootunderwater.com

Thanks,
Mike

Wow Mike, you keep some pretty nice company, sounds like an event for the professionals. And they have have a Micro Brewery, very important.

sounds great, I am interested in the Bali trip.

LATE CHECK-OUT! Brilliant. Seems priced pretty good. I never want to do four dives/day for too many days in a row. Wonder if you get behind skipping now and then....? It's not like boot campish, is it? I will give this serious thought. Can you tell me how rigorous this would be? Like could you skip photoshop day for example and not mess everyone else up? Or do the skills build on each day?

Hi all,

When i put the words brewery and massage/spa in a post there is definitely no boot camp feeling!!
The basic plan for both Yap and Bali is to do 2 dives in the morning and then have a workshop in the afternoon. IN the workshop we will be talking about composition, lighting, photoshop, making prints and cd slideshows etc. Believe you me, no hard work at all!!! Tim, Chris and myself are all laid back island types and everything will be organized to optimize happy hour and socializing as well as the best times to dive and teach everything you want to know. The best thing about the 3 of us is lack of ego and willing to teach as well as the ability to go waaaaay off on a tangent, at least for me! :)

Sounds like what I have been waiting for. Would a non-photog diver "roomate" fit in anywhere?

I kind of know what muck diving is... but what would the viz be, do you guess?
Is it like looking for Mandarin Fish outside Bottom Time at Sam's? How much of the diving would be "non-muck", like the wreck?

Should I PM you or ask someone else this stuff?
Bali has been on my top list for a couple years. (BTW, Shopping for Clothes is really getting talked up here in Haiwaii and LA. I know this model who was on the cover of the Asian Cosmo "Jasmine Muller" and she said they are all shopping there because the Italian designers have come in and are taking advantage of the cheap labor market)

I know that seems off-topic but shopping is at least as legitimate as beer. I think women might be interested. OK,: I saw the clothes, they were exquisite. they were inexpensive. I have just convinced myself. Expect my deposit.

Given that I botched a whole set of photos from a recent Manta encounter in Thailand over new years (strobe misfiring/ forgetting the dome WA lens on the boat when I was eye to eye with a manta with great vis!!!), I think I might be a good candidate for the Yap session... :wink:

BTW Mike, will PnS camera folks be looked down as second class citizens in your class? :wink:

Hi Pakman!

The only one who will be looked down on is Chris Bangs!!! :):) (i only said that cuz he is a member here and might look at this post)

Seriously, Pakman to gain the most knowledge and get the best pics there is no difference between a PnS or DSLR. Although i think it would be best if your camera has full manual control. And i think we will be getting more than 1 manta encounter here that is for sure!

Mike

very tempting... although I would like to squeeze in Yap with a Palau trip I am thinking of in Apr or May...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom