World Dive Site Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold_water

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm working on a website to make a world-wide database of dive sites. I know there are many of them around, but this one would be using the wikimedia software (the same software that's used for wikipedia). This means that the website is not only free, but anyone can modify it! So if you find a dive spot that's not listed or an error in a description, you can change it directly and it's available right away. My template right now is a similar project to create a travel guide, wikitravel.

I'm not posting links to the website I'm working on just right now for 2 reasons. One is I'd like to get some basic layout down before everyone starts to modify and add information in there. So at this point, I'm looking for suggestions on a basic layout (that can be modified later anyway), like the number of levels. Such as, should the article hierarchy be:
North America > U.S.A. > Florida > Orlando > Devil's Den
or
North America > Atlantic Coast > Florida > Devil's Den
or something else?

I'm also looking for a few people who would be interested in actually writing the template pages and the necessary early work to get this project going. It involves some work right now to set-up the basic layout, but once the website is launched, it's out in the open and anyone and everyone is welcome to contribute, so the workload obviously goes down.

You can reply message me privately or in this thread.

Charles

your site is looking food, very impressive!

best of luck

Thanks for the compliment. There isn't much on there right now, but hopefully it will grow. Since the site is a wiki, it will only grow as fast as people are ready to contribute to it. It would be nice if, say, the users of scubaboard went to www.wikiscuba.com/wiki and created an article for, say, their single favorite (or best experience at a) diving spot. I don't know how to extend a warm welcome and invitation to everyone formally here...

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

That is SOOOO COOL! Will have to stop back there when I'm not so swamped :) That might be a good assignment for my advanced students, contribute something they research and dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

ah, crap... i meant "looking good" not "looking food"

clealry you figured this out!

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom