Question About Merida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rikbarry

Registered
Reaction score
I've been diving in Cozumel for many years (I usually dive with Deep Blue). I never tire of the lovely reef diving, and look forward to occasional advanced dives like Punta Sur and Barracuda Reef, etc. But my non-diver wife just read about a new Yucatan restaurant in Merida, and we're wondering about a possible trip to that area.

I'd prefer to mix in some good diving (I understand it's denote country), along with casually exploring the area (my wife's bad feet can't rough it anymore, and we're both getting too old for roughing it). We were thinking about possibly renting a little car to scoot around?

Do any of you have suggestions for us? Diving? Eating? Lodging? Driving? Traveling to and from NYC?
Thanks so much!

Rick

We've been through Merida many times, but actually never stopped and spent any time. Usually it has been on our way from either Playa del Carmen or the Cancun airport to Uxmal (a Mayan ruin site south of there). I am not aware of any cenote diving in the area, but must admit never researched it. In Merida, you are approximately 20 or so miles from the Mexican port town of Progresso, but again, I have never researched the diving from there, either. If you do go, I strongly recommend renting a car and driving to the Uxmal area, as there are many "minor" ruin sites in the same area, and you can make a full day of visiting Uxmal and the others along the Ruta Puuc (mind you, there will be a lot of walking involved, which might be counter to your avoidance of roughing it).

Hope this helps.

I've never been to the Merida area, but my understanding is that the cave diving there is much deeper than the diving around Tulum.

Back
Top Bottom