Need help finding a group dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smaucere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been diving for about 4 years and used to go a couple times a year on vacations with my wife, but would really like to go on a dedicated "dive trip" with a group where the focus is on the destination and multiple dives, where I don't have to sneak in a morning dive while she waits for me on the beach! Interested in a planned trip with a group, but absolutely hitting a brick wall when researching available options online. Would love divers' thoughts on what group trips/organizers are good, would be good for a diver traveling alone who doesn't know anyone in the group, etc. Actual destination is secondary at this point, likely somewhere warm water/caribbean. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Next June there's the Invasion - going to Cozumel: ScubaBoard Invasion 2015 Cozumel They often sell out fairly early if interested.

Check your local dive shops - IDK of any that don't sponsor at least one trip a year if not more. Like this one near you: Group Dive Travel They generally cost a little more but you typically have a shop representative on the trip and you get to meet your fellow divers beforehand. I noticed they're going to Saba - that's seriously good diving. But a little advanced.

For a dive intense experience book yourself into All-Inclusive Dive resort. Most of those are pretty hardcore divers and generally you'll make friends with at least some of the people on your boat or staying at the resort. Plan to do a minimum of 3-4 dives per day not counting night dives. Where there's shore diving available you can probably find a buddy on your boat. At Cocoview they'll drop you off coming back in and you can dive up to the resort. Or shoredive there anytime. On Roatan there's not a lot of shore dive options though outside of the the AI resorts I name below.

Examples would be places like Cocoview, Anthony's Key or Reef House Resort on Roatan, Laguna Beach Resort on Utila, Sunset House or Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman. Most of them are somewhat secluded with full facilities on-site so you can stay/dive there all week if desired. Or get out and explore on your own or with others. Anthony's Key for example is 5mins. by cab from Roatan's West End where all the nightlife is. If you take the Saturday flght(s) into Roatan most of those people will be divers. Probably 1/3 of each plane is going to Cocoview or Anthony's - they have their own shuttles, luggage tags and people who meet you after customs.

Most of the Bonaire oceanfront dive resorts are an option also. There's others but I'd specifically target Buddy Dive, Habitat, Divi Flamingo and maybe Eden Beach. Buddy is probably the most popular dive resort there - if you can't find buddies in Buddy's bar - you aren't trying. Buddy's also has free airport shuttles.

The only issue there is a lot of people only shore dive but since the standard dive vehicle is a 4dr. pickup so they usually have room for one more. Or you do if you buy a package that includes a truck - most do. It is the best shorediving in the Caribbean though - and easy. Book a few boat dives to start with and meet your fellow divers. We made tentative plans with two other groups waiting for our flight to Bonaire. Hint: wear a dive t-shirt on the flight out. I spent one flight to Roatan discussing diving with my seat-mate who I met on the plane. They were staying on Roatan while we went on to Utila so we didn't get to dive with them. But he offered before he realized my buddy was across the aisle.

The only downside to AI dive resorts is that most will have a single supplement since they really function best as double occupancy. Sunset House was advertising a single package with no supplement this spring - garden view room but everything else was included.

If you did want to try it with your wife - Plaza Resort on Bonaire might be an option. They have a beach, pool, several restaurants and are a short distance from downtown. They'll have both diver/non-diver package deals also. Lions Dive on Curacao might be an option for both of you also - nice beach, nice pool, diving on-site and some shops/restaurants in a resort area within walking distance. About a 5min. cab ride to downtown also.

Or book a liveaboard. All you'll do is dive/eat/sleep with the same group all week. Don't take your wife though - she'll be bored to death. You'll likely share a cabin with one other solo diver so you may have an insta-buddy all week. If not, you'll be able to dive with someone. We always seem to dive with others on those trips - other pax do also.

Our last trip we mostly dove with a guy we met on the van and sometimes in a group of up to about 6-8. One of the people in that group was a new diver from Canada that they "adopted" on the boat. By the end of the week, anybody is going to be willing to dive with you. We exchange e-mail addresses for our next trip in case people we liked can go also. IMO everyone goes out of their way to be nice - it's a pretty small boat. Most liveaboards are going to pick you up at the airport also so your only real expense outside of the trip cost is the tip at the end. Sometimes there's a dinner the last night on-shore also.

Try the Aggressor Fleet or Explorer Ventures. Less expensive are the Blackbeards trips in the Bahamas. There's also a bunch of shorter Florida based trips. Check our liveaboards forum. Any of them are good for less experienced divers. There's liveaboards in all the top dive destinations worldwide also. Just google: dive liveaboards.

singledivers.com might be another option. You don't have to be single, just solo as they pair you up with someone to save money.

Caradonna Dive Travel can help with arrangement also - fee is paid by the provider so it costs you nothing to let them make the arrangements. Bonairepros.com is similar for Bonaire. There's others google: dive travel agencies.

I believe that if you check many of the group trips offered through Local Dive Stores ( LDS ) around the USA, you will find many exciting options.

I have a group trip to Bonaire Sept 20 to 27
includes airfare out of NYC, but can be adjusted for elsewhere,or you can get your own airfare. Buddy Dive Resort.
transfers, buffet breakfast, 50% off buddy dive restaurant, unlimited shore diving,9 boat dives,free nitrox,rental truck per condo unit ( 2 bedroom units) . Based on dbl occ,but we will do our best to get you a room mate if you need so. We can also offer a non divers rate for wife if she would like to go.
Offered by Scuba New York, here in Yonkers NY. Cost $1925.

agree with the above: try any LDS or a live aboard. if you know where to look,there are lots of opportunities.

you do need to make a decision about taking or leaving the better half. some trips would work, others not so much.

you could also consider coverting her? i was informed very early in our relationship that i was a marginal candidate due to my lack of swimming ability. 30 years later i still have 13 fewer dives than my dive buddy. but who's counting?

...would really like to go on a dedicated "dive trip" with a group where the focus is on the destination and multiple dives...

Sounds like you & I share a preference. Okay, realizing I'll hit on some of the same info. as Diver Steve, I'll tell you how I consider options for that.

1.) Bonaire - 7 day stay, Buddy Dive Resort is a fine choice, nitrox likely included & breakfast buffet at Buddy's, figure around 6 days of diving, 4 shore dives/day, & a few night dives on the house reef, you could be looking at 18 to 24 dives, a bit more if you pour it on. Been to Bonaire 8 times. Bonaire is out of the hurricane belt & usually a fine, warm water choice all year long. Not much big stuff except tarpon and a few barracuda, occasional big green moray or cubera snapper. I haven't seen a shark there.

2.) CocoView in Roatan - following up DiverSteve's post, from what I understand 2 1-tank boat trips, drop off on the way back to get 2 more dives swimming back to the resort, plus there's a nice house reef with the wreck of the Prince Albert for evening & night dive options. In Roatan where you stay will make a much bigger difference in how you dive than is true in Bonaire, from what I've read. Haven't been to Roatan yet. Roatan has a rainy season and can be impacted by hurricane season, so consider the time of year you travel. I'm told Roatan has lush reefs and lots of small stuff, not a lot of big stuff, but read some review threads for more since I'm also told Roatan's underwater habitat varies a lot by which section of the island you dive.

3.) Key Largo, Florida. Dove with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, at the end of the Courtyard Marriott parking lot (where I stayed). 2 2-tank boat dives/day, can do all shallow reef or morning deep dives & afternoon reef, crammed 20 dives into 5 days, cost me $600 for diving + tax & tips. And they put a couple of guides in the water at no added charge. I found Key Largo fishier than places I'd been in the Caribbean. 1 Trip, enjoyed it. Sea conditions vary with time of year and the water can get chilly in winter. I dove with no wet suit September 2013. I saw big barracuda, black grouper, a number of green morays, a few reef sharks and nurse sharks, and on deep wreck dives goliath grouper.

4.) Cozumel - tends toward 2 tank boat dives, from what I understand, but check to see which op.s might offer a 3 dive/day option. And some op.s, like Living Underwater and Aldora, offer 120 cf steel tanks, so you can get longer dives even if you're not doing more dives. There's a recent thread comparing those 2 op.s. On a cruise ship stop I did 2 dives with Living Underwater and my little group was very pleased with them. Weather can be a factor (on another cruise stop, we had 2 dives cancelled because Caleta Harbor closed while we were standing in the dive boat about to go out). I think my 2 dives were in January and the water was around 76 degrees. Known for some big stuff; I saw a big black grouper and big eagle ray, both close up.

5.) Blackbeard's live-aboard in the Bahama's. Often described as 'camping at sea,' the reviews I've read could be summarized as a lot of diving, basic accommodations but good food, around $1,000 + tips and be mindful that's room, board & traveling around site to site. For value, I can hardly imagine a better deal in this region. But read up on the reviews. And the Bahama's water, like the Florida Keys, gets chilly in winter, so if you like diving without a wetsuit, you'll need to time that by time of year. I've not done a live-aboard as yet - being stuck on a boat for most of a week isn't appealing to many non-divers, and for people prone to sea sickness like my wife & main dive buddy both, it's a hard sell. The Bahamas is famous for shark feed diving; figure you'll get a chance to do a group dive surrounded by reef sharks in the area (confirm if this is important to you). Last I checked airfare to the Bahamas for me was not bad!

6.) AquaCat live-aboard is owned by the same people who own Blackbeard's, but costs closer to $2,400 + tips but from what I understand you get a substantially nicer living experience while you're on the boat. Before you decide to go budget, read some reviews. Seems to me the AquaCat tends to get glowing reviews.

7.) Belize live-aboards seem to get discussed often and I'm told Belize is best dove by live-aboard, although there's enough land action (e.g.: Mayan ruins, jungle, etc...) so planning some land time in addition can be worth your while, if you can stay 2 weeks instead of one. Belize is far enough south it ought to be fairly warm water all year; check because you may have a different idea of what is warm. The main reason I'd consider a Belize live-aboard over a Bahamas live-aboard is because some of the trip reports of Bahamas diving have been, well, decent to good but I'd want to know if Belize would be better.

There are a lot of other options, but I believe those I listed are the most commonly discussed mainstream Florida/Caribbean high dive count destinations that more people do, and get to earlier in their dive careers when operating out of the east & central U.S. I figure these destinations are consistently well-known & popular for good reason, and a good starting point. Perhaps someday if I'm blessed to get more seasoned I might consider a live-aboard to the Turks and Caicos, the long (& for me it would be miserable) travel times round trip to the Philippines, etc...

I look at things from a middle class perspective where 1 week is the maximum time off from work and the trip should be under $3,000 per person, or $4,000 solo, including airfare & all expenses, and I don't like flights over 4 hours and travel times over a day total. The scuba equivalent of Walmart or a Honda Accord, not Macy's or a corvette, but not a thrift shop or a moped, either.

If you are rich, have scads of free time & don't mind your butt growing roots into an airplane seat, perhaps someone else can tell you about Wakatobi. In fact, if you're not real rich but don't mind long travel times & have the time, then others can talk about Red Sea live-aboards & the Philippines.

Richard.

As a diver that is married to a non-diver I might be able to add some comments based on a little experience.

Of the trips I have done on my own, all have been group trips through the LDS. It may be a bit more expensive however, I have noticed that on the group trips I have done there seemed to be some added value in the way of free shore diving or a night dive or something extra not in the standard packages. I have also noticed that sometimes the group travelers are shown a bit more attention.

It is important to understand what the non-diving spouse likes. Do they like shopping, close to town or are they content to kick back on a nice deck with a hammock and a good book. Mine is good with the kick back in a hammock with a good book but is ready to do other things when I am not diving. Cozumel worked well for both of us. We stayed at Hotel Cozumel and it worked out well. It is nice if on a group trip there are others who are non-divers though. Our best trip together was to Cozumel when we rented a condo and the dive boat picked me up at the peer for a 2 tank morning boat dive leaving the afternoon for island exploration. That trip was not a group trip and we both really enjoyed it. Cozumel has some great resorts further out and they are AI. It was nice being closer to town both when I went with her and when I was with a group and she stayed home.

When on Grand Cayman we stayed at Sunset House. It is a little too far from town and she felt isolated there. She did take a cab downtown and looked around but it just didn't work very well for a non-diver. It may well work better if you were located on 7 mile beach or someplace less isolated. As a diver I would be good with staying there again but my wife wouldn't go there with me again. At least not the Sunset House.

Two trips to Roatan and Anthony's key were nice and my wife enjoyed them. With a short cab ride to West End she took in the village and did well. The bungalows were good sized and there was a nice deck and a hammock. She enjoyed sleeping in and kicking back.

I have also done 3 trips to Cozumel through the LDS as a single and had a great time every time. I once paid the single rate which wasn't that much higher and enjoyed having my own room.

The best trip I have done without my wife was on the AquaCat. I was given a buddy to share a cabin with and we also were buddies when diving. It worked out well. Dive, eat, Dive, eat, Dive, Eat, dive sleep and repeat. I can recommend the AquaCat it was a great trip.

I am going to go on another live aboard in about a week on the Cayman Aggressor. It is a group trip and I have the same buddy as on the AquaCat. I am certain that I will enjoy this trip too.

If you want to dive and dive a lot and the non diving spouse is going to stay home. I think a live aboard is the way to go. My wife is going to take her vacation and go to Alaska to visit her son after I return. We are both happy.:D

Thanks guys, this is is really great. A lot of things to think about. I have tried to convert, it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon :(. We have a little one at home (my own built in dive buddy in about 10 years!) and this is an anniversary gift to me (she prefers jewelry to diving) so this trip will likely be just me. I've always had good luck buddying up with someone on my trips but wasn't sure if it was just that easy when booking a week or so. Divers as a rule seem to be really inclusive and easy to hang out with.

My main concern with a liveaboard is that it would just be too much. What is the water motion like? I'm not particularly bothered by motion sickness (crusie ships, short time on dive boats) but didn't know if the waves constantly would be of concern. Also, do the dive parties on liveaboards tolerate divers with some decent experience (about 20 dives in a variety of settings) but by no means expert level? The idea of racking up 20+ dives in a weeks sounds really great though.

I'm sure all of this is covered in great detail all over scubaboard, so thanks for bearing with me. Thanks again for all your informative and thoughtful advice!

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 01:47 AM ----------

Thanks Oly5050, I think I actually have a trial that week, so probably a little late to start planning for September. But sounds awesome. Hopefully something when the weather in the States is cold.

The most stable liveaboard in the Caribbean discussed so far is Aquacat since it's a big Catamaran. Actually the most stable liveaboard in the Caribbean period is probably Cuan Law - it's the largest sailing Trimaran in the world. They run the BVI's which IMO is better diving than the Bahamas but shallower - no dramatic Tongue of the Ocean walls. A little more expensive and harder to get to - although you should still be able to get there thru St. Thomas the same day. They suggest San Juan then over via local flight to Beef Island - the boat docks in Tortola but we found it more convenient to fly into St. Thomas and take the fast ferries - they run every hour and the port is 5mins. from the airport. http://www.bvidiving.com/ On the BVI end many of them land in Roadtown - where the Cuan Law is.

The Blackbeards boats by their size and the fact that they're sailing sloops (think that's the term) tend to pitch more. The third boat in the Blackbeards family - Cat Ppalu - is a private charter but they'll sell leftover spaces if the charter group lets them. They dive the Bahamas also. Almost any liveaboard moors in calm water when they can - usually in a bay or near an island. if you're OK on day boats you won't have any difficulties. The bigger single hull boats are more stable. Some have stabilizers built to help. Anything around 100-120' is usually less susceptible.

Turks/Caicos Explorer was a good trip, big boat, great crew, excellent food and some of the best big animal diving I've done in the past five years - that list includes Roatan, Utila, Curacao and the BVI's. You fly into Provo (Providenciales) and they pick you up at the airport. You'll dive off Provo the 1st day or two - shallower to get your bearings, then head over to West Caicos and French Cay - both uninhabited islands so there's no stress on the reef except for them and day boats from Provo.

It's deep wall diving but gradual so you can pick your depth. I film a lot so I stayed in the 60-80' range most dives. We saw a lot of sharks, too many Stingrays to count, barracuda, turtles, huge lionfish, lots of reef fish. The fish there don't seem to notice you - I like that. We had one rougher day - started out OK but reboarding was a little dicey - last week of May.

Check Availability on the Explorer website - also look at their deals - some weeks they offer $4-500 off. There's also an Aggressor that runs the same route - 3-4 times during the week they were at the next mooring over. Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Liveaboard Diving In the winter months both boats move to Silver Banks for the Humpback watching but that's strictly snorkeling - they don't even offer dives during those months. I think it's Jan-early April.

Mike Southard wrote this about a year b4 we went. We saw everything but the dolphins. And more sharks than he indicates: Saudio's Trip Reports

Last edited:
I've been diving for about 4 years and used to go a couple times a year on vacations with my wife, but would really like to go on a dedicated "dive trip" with a group where the focus is on the destination and multiple dives, where I don't have to sneak in a morning dive while she waits for me on the beach! Interested in a planned trip with a group, but absolutely hitting a brick wall when researching available options online. Would love divers' thoughts on what group trips/organizers are good, would be good for a diver traveling alone who doesn't know anyone in the group, etc. Actual destination is secondary at this point, likely somewhere warm water/caribbean. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Checkout this group (Scuba Tribe) in FB. They are also offering trips
https://www.facebook.com/groups/810321678985616/?fref=nf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom