Bonaire Last Minute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the shore diving on Bonaire as accessible as it is on Curacao?
Steep reefs?
Hope to get to Bonaire on our next dive vacation.
Which resort / hotel would your recommend?
Thanks for the offer,but I have to plow the snow for a few months. Brrrrr

resortdiver

Hello resortdiver,

I cannot speak to CUR but in Bonaire, we have over 80 shore dives. Park on the side of the road and jump in. Each entry is a bit different. Some of my client's favorites include Hilma Hooker, Te Amo, Invisibles, Angel City and Karpata to name a few.

I have many great properties. Each differs in culture and price. Send me an email at ann@bonairecaribbean.com and I will be happy to assist.

Ann

Is the shore diving on Bonaire as accessible as it is on Curacao?

Been to Bonaire 8 times; haven't dove Curacao yet. The 2 are often compared on ScubaBoard. From what I've read, if I've understood correctly:

1.) Curacao has more sandy beach; Bonaire very little.

2.) Bonaire entry & exits tend to be iron shore, and rather rough. Usually not a big deal, but you do need to be careful going in & out.

3.) Bonaire swim outs tend to be shorter.

4.) In Curacao, from what I gather the road around is inset farther from the coast, & you often take a side road to reach a dive site. In Bonaire, a road basically hugs the west coast (& much of the east), close to the water, so you can go site-to-site faster.

5.) Some Curacao facilities have onsite operators with some sort of facilities, sometimes with a fee. Most Bonaire sites do not; you can pee in the ocean, and you can go get lunch at a store or back at your room. Not a lot of beach umbrellas to sit under.

6.) Airfare to Curacao is often cheaper.

7.) Bonaire markets hard to diving tourism; the license plate says mentions it being a diver's paradise.

Some of the comparisons basically broil down to Curacao having more non-diving things to do, a larger land mass & more to explore, but Bonaire being a place where you can probably more handily cram in a larger number of dives in a week, mainly shore dives. Each has a number of fans who think it's the better of the two.

If any Curacao divers see an error in my reasoning, I imagine they'll point it out.

Richard.

Are there any donkeys on Curacao ?????

Jim....

Back
Top Bottom