Raja Ampat trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, dive junkies -

We (my wife and I) have just placed a deposit for an eleven-night liveaboard trip to Raja Ampat aboard Paisabatu II, a boat we've been aboard before and are happy to be aboard again. If you're lurking in the Indonesia forum, I assume you're familiar with Raja Ampat; if not, start reading the forum or do a web search! It's clearly one of the premier dive destinations in the world. This trip is way out there in the future ... 20 February 2012 to 02 March 2012, twelve days/eleven nights. We will spend roughly two-thirds of the trip in northern RA, and one-third in the south (Misool area). Current trip itinerary is attached, but could vary at the time of our trip. As always, weather may dictate changes.

Listed trip cost is 1870 euros, right now about USD $2335.00. Cost in USD could vary based upon price of the euro at time of payment. Jerome (owner) will offer a 10% reduction, or about USD $2100.00, if we fill the boat. More on that later.

The boat carries a maximum of 10 divers. There are two double cabins and two twin cabins available. The double cabins have en suite heads. The twin cabins each have their own head, but you must exit the cabin to enter the head. One nice feature ... the boat operates on a battery bank at night ... no generators all night!

A few details about the boat: No air conditioning, but all cabins are on deck with cross ventilation and fans. This proved very comfortable on our previous trip. No hot water, but showers tend to be almost lukewarm, and not uncomfortable. The crew keeps your toiletries stocked, and the floor swept, but you make your own bunk up (if you want to). The two towels you get issued are for the trip. No laundry service, though with a watermaker installed now, perhaps that might change ... no idea. No nitrox aboard. The dive schedule is four a day, except where a long transit might prohibit that schedule. In the water at about 7:00 AM, out of the night dive at about 7:30 PM. 60-70 min dives. Never had a computer violation on air. Two dive guides, sometimes three, on every dive.

The boat is French owned and operated and very well run. Rather than me telling you all about the boat, read through Jerome Doucet's website at ...

Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait.

Disregard info about cruises to the Togians; the boat is not doing those right now due to shuttle flight issues.

There are almost no reviews online about this boat in English. Mine is at ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/313678-trip-report-bunaken-lembeh-sangihe-part-ii.html.

We hope to fill the boat with people we know or at least have some connection to, and Scubaboard is certainly a good place to find fans of Indonesian diving. If we fill it, we can receive a 10% discount, which we will split all around. Cost does not include any airfare, visa on arrival (USD $25), marine park fee IDR 500,000 (USD $55.00 +/-), alcohol, or tip (you will find that tipping is much more guest-friendly in Indonesia). You will also incur at least one hotel night each way, probably more. This destination is WAY out there, and you do not want to cut your connections tight in Indonesia. More info about payment, deposit, etc. on the website.

A couple possible routing options from US:
a) Los Angeles/Hong Kong/Bali/Makassar (or Manado)/Sorong
b) Los Angeles/Singapore (or Hong Kong)/Jakarta/Sorong.
The first one entails an extra flight, but Bali is heaven on earth for a stopover, which we recommend to readjust your bio-clock before diving. The second one is more direct and the final domestic leg to Sorong is cheaper than the first route, and Singapore is a nice stop; Jakarta is not. Jerome recommends the direct Jakarta/Sorong flight, and will book and bill that ticket at a later date, if you so wish. RT fare Jakarta/Sorong is currently about USD $550.00. If we end up sharing some flights or stopovers, that's a bonus, but we will not be booking flights as a group. Plenty of time to discuss the fine points later!

We are not the booking agents for this trip. We will share everything we know about the nuts and bolts of paying, getting there, etc. In order for us to get the discount, PM me first for instructions so that Jerome will recognize you as part of this group. You will then conduct business directly with Jerome, and everyone aboard (presuming we fill the boat), will get the same discount. The eight vacant spots are blocked for a limited period, held for our group. The euro is pretty low right now; it's worth thinking about placing a deposit before it rises. You will pay a 20% deposit based on the full fare of 1870 euros for the trip. If we fill the boat (the discount will only apply "if" we fill the boat), your balance due will be reduced so that your total will be about 1683 euros, or about $2100.00 right now. You can do business via bank transfer or PayPal (+4%). Again, more info on the website. Bear in mind that even at full fare, this is a very good price for a Raja Ampat liveaboard, and we believe an excellent value.

NOTICE: We definitely recommend this boat to others. However, since we are not the booking agents, you will be responsible for your business transactions with the boat/owner, your travel and lodging arrangements, and your satisfaction with the trip. We are simply passing on information; we will assist you by answering any questions we can. You will book directly and plan your own travel and hotels, with the exception of the above-mentioned Jakarta/Sorong domestic flight.

Although this is well out in the future, we would encourage you to act sooner rather than later if you are interested. Jerome can't hold these spaces indefinitely; Raja Ampat boats get booked well in advance. PM me for more info, or for my email address and cell phone number, but please read the website and my trip report first, as they may answer some of your questions.

And a final thought ... Above all, we think dive trips should be fun and relaxing. Within the bounds of safe diving, we'd like to see a boat full of easy-going people who can kick back and go with the program, whatever it is at the time. If that works for you, we hope to see you aboard!

1 Check in, departure from Sorong
2 Dampier Strait : Mioskon, two dives close to Kri islands :Chicken Reef, Sardine Reef, night dive.
3 Dampier Strait Batu Lima, then 2 dives at The Passage
4 Dampier strait : Cape Kri, Manta Sandy, navigation to Yangfeo, 1 dive in Yangfeo + night dive. Night in Yangfeo.
5 Miosben, Wofo, Aljuyi bay ; night dive. Night in Aljuy bay.
6 Aljuy Bay (white Arrow) ; visit the pearl farm ; Eagle Rock. Navigation to Kawe Island. Dive at One Tree Rock, night in Kawe.
7 Navigation to Urani Island: Eddy’s Cave, Cathedral, then Wayag 1 dive + evening in Wayag
8 Night navigation to Fam, Pelemu ; Melissa Garden, (3 dives in Fam)
9 Night navigation to Misool : Farondi ; 3 dives in Farondi, night in the hidden lagoon.
10 Misool Fiabacet. Fantasy, Boo, Yellet Kecil,; beach BBQ. Navigation to Batanta Island
11 Batanta, 2 dives : Airplane wreck + muck dive. Navigation back to Sorong
12 Transfert to airport

Attachments

• 2010 Raja Ampat itinerary.doc
    0 bytes · Views: 137
Last edited:
This trip sounds great. I'm headed to Raja Ampat this coming January solo and have a feeling I will want to go back. Not sure yet though. Only $550 for RT tickets from LA to Sorong!? That's amazing! I live in Guam and I can't find a way to Sorong for less than $700.

Maybe I didn't make it clear ... the $550 tickets are round trip from Jakarta to Sorong!

Last edited:
Ah, I see that now. Lion Air has tickets for my dates from Jakarta to Sorong for around $200 RT.

I may have some interest in this. Could you keep me on your ist. Probably would not be able to make a commitment until early fall.

Amazing price, but that is due to a bit more barebones than I'd like. Some good sites on your list though I'd want to spend more time at Boo Island. Incredible diving there.... Good luck with the trip.

Greetings again, folks ...

Our Raja Ampat trip is now a mere 15 months away! Still just as excited to be back aboard Jerome's boat again. We just returned from a liveaboard in Komodo, about the same price as Jerome's Paisabatu II, and we told each other that, for the price, we much preferred Jerome's boat.

Jerome has opened up the trip to the public again, since we have not as yet been able to fill the boat. He'll update me of any changes. But at this point, the full per person rate is now 1940 euros, or about USD $2650.00 per person. That's for 11 nights aboard, itinerary shown in the original post. Raja Ampat commands premium prices for liveaboards, but I'm sure you would consider this trip an excellent value when compared to other options. Read about the boat at Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait. Ignore the Togian Islands info, as they are currently not cruising that route.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me for answers, or for my email address or cell phone number. We're not getting any break or rebate ourselves for advertising this trip; this is just an effort to get some more like-minded people aboard to whom we have at least some connection. We'd love to hear from you!

Checking in again, Raja Ampat fans ...

I communicated with Jerome, the boat owner, several days ago. He was at a dive show in Paris, and was getting a lot of inquiries about availability in Raja Ampat. He feels that the boat will likely fill soon now because of that activity. There is also an American ex-pat group from Phuket that is interested in this time slot. I don't want to stampede anyone, but it is "only" 13 months away, and boats there tend to fill well in advance ... no "last minute" spaces! If you think might work for you, we'd love to have you along.

Trip price is 1940 euros, about US $2600.00 (yes, there was a price "adjustment" since my original post). That's for 11 nights, or $236.00 a night on a comfortable, clean boat with a great crew. A group price break is no longer available, but if you've checked out trip prices to RA, you can understand that this a still very competitively priced trip.

Again, feel free to PM me with your questions, or ask for my email or cell phone number. We hope to hear from you!

Back
Top Bottom