FS - 3 New DIY Inspo CCR Frames - $245. each

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I made a DIY Travel Frame out of high impact 8” PVC pipe, and after about 25 hours diving it, pushing it around in the back of my truck and in the Zodiac boat, I am declaring it a success. I’ve made a bunch of changes, improvements and modifications on my original, and I am finally calling it done.

Anyway, a member of RBW pm’d and asked if I would make him one, so I made a total of 4. So, I have 3 for sale.

All the metal parts are stainless, of course. The PVC is coated black with 3 coats of Truck Bed Liner (LINK), with 24 hours curing time between coats 2 and 3.

Someone asked me how tough I think the PVC is. Would it get brittle in the cold? Well, this is high impact green sewer pipe, meant to withstand the pressure of the ground it’s buried beneath and freezing temperatures. But, I decided to perform my very own, unscientific test and see how hard it would be to break the stuff. You can watch my test on this short video I posted on YouTube. The only marks you see are the ink that was originally on the pipe. I froze the small piece wet overnight, and tested it coated in ice. Here’s the link: YouTube - CCR Pipe Break Test

These frames are not precision, machine cut perfect. They are each hand cut with a jigsaw, the holes drilled by hand, the T-bolts, bottom caps, etc., each fitted and glued by hand, every edge hand filed and sanded, the body of the tube was hand sanded prior to spraying with the black coating, and so on.

I originally made this for my Inspiration Classic with a Hammerhead top. But from what I can tell, it should work great with a standard classic head or a vision head. But please don’t take my word for it. Here are the measurements:

• The outside diameter of the tube is 8 1/4”, 21mm.

• The inside diameter of the tube, the opening at the top for the head, is 7 7/8”, 20mm.

• The main canister fits down snuggly into the rubber capped bolts at 6 3/8”, 16mm.

• The full height of the frame is 18 1/4”, 46.5 mm.

• The inside height for the canister bottom to top of head is 14”, 35.5mm.

• The backplate bolts (included, and plastic welded in place) are the standard 11” apart.

It weighs 7#’s out of the water, and it’s negative, but I haven’t taken the time to figure out how much.
The great thing about the frame being PVC is that almost anyone can easily custom modify it with basic home tools (for example, if you wanted to move the BP bolts, you could drill 2 new holes in about a minute). This isn’t hard steel we’re dealing with, but easy to drill and cut PVC. Heck, if you wanted to touch up any scratches every year or so and bring it back to new, for $9.00 you can buy a can of the black liner and give it a fresh coat.

The price does not include tank mounts. This way you can choose your options. I have pre-cut the slots for the tank straps that come with the inspo case (pictured below). I used these and just let the valve/din connector rest at the base of the reg first stage opening and it worked just fine, although a little wobbly. My friend gave me a G-snap (pictured below), so I ordered another from Oxycheq (LINK), and they work well. You could also use the inspo straps and add an STA like this one (LINK) for additional support. Whatever you choose, you can do it yourself, or I can order it for you and install it for an additional $15.00 plus the cost of the parts. Or you can just use the straps for no additional cost.

I’ll take Paypal, check or money order. PM me your address and I’ll PM you the shipping costs. First come, first serve. PM me any questions.

Thanks!

Rick

Attachments

• Frame 01.jpg
    Frame 01.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Frame 02.jpg
    Frame 02.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 583
  • Frame 03.jpg
    Frame 03.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 534
  • Frame 04.jpg
    Frame 04.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 669
  • Frame 05.jpg
    Frame 05.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 672
  • Frame 06.jpg
    Frame 06.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 462
  • Frame 07.jpg
    Frame 07.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 739
  • Frame 08.jpg
    Frame 08.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 711
  • Frame 09.jpg
    Frame 09.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 490
Nice work Rick ... I'm not an inspo owner, but if I were you would have tempted me to order one :)

Aloha, Tim

Thanks, Tim!

One sold, one sold pending payment, one still for sale...

All the frames are sold, and I am in the process of making at least one or two more by request.

I will make frames in the future on request, contingent on having the time. So, if interested, just PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom