Whale Sharks in Isla Mujeres July 2014 - only a few left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkphoto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This past July 2013 I was in the waters off Isla Mujeres with 100's of whale sharks but it was the Giant Mantas that really stole the show. I have chartered the boat again for 2015 for two 4 - day sessions which occur right near the full moon - the peak of krill (their food) activity and thus the best manta and whale shark activity.

I have an international roster of guests and just a few spaces left for this must do adventure.
We stay on the Island of Isla Mujeres and venture out on our private boat (max of 6 guests) for all day on the water . Regulations dictate when we must leave and we are usually the last boat in. We work with the most established hotels and boat captains on the island who have been doing charter fishing since before the whale sharks were "discovered" so they are professional and the best.

This is a great opportunity for photographers of all skills and I will help guests with their rigs before the trip and during so that you can learn and get great shots. The whale sharks move steadily along at a fast walking pace and do not dive since they only care about eating and are not bothered by us (unless you touch them!) The mantas are also at the surface flying, skimming, and doing loops.

You only need a shorty wetsuit (its the rule), a few weights if you like, fins and a mask. The weather is full on sunny summer. The food is great, the island is safe, and the travel is as easy as getting to Cancun. What a great trip. And we are priced below other whale shark trips by people with bigger names.

Read my trip logs and get details on my underwater phototours website
whale-shark-guests-1.jpg

I don't have a shorty, only a full suit. What is the significance of the "rule" about wearing a shorty and which agency requires it?

The permit regulations - for everyone operating a charter boat that interacts with the whale sharks - state that guests in the water must have either a wetsuit or floatation device (a life preserver or snorkel vest) Thankfully, someone has recognized that a wetsuit is floatation. Our boat also used weightbelts so you can swim properly and under control while wearing the wetsuit.
The water is so warm in the summer you do not need it for heat, but you need something for sun protection. The danger of a full suit would be overheating especially in the boat when you are getting in and out. The shorty also makes it faster to get in and out of your suit while on a break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom