Diving Da UP This Summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK guys, there's a lot of people asking me about coming up here this summer and diving the Straits of Mackinaw and/or Whitefish Bay. There seems to be some difficulty in the organization of all those interested. I know Campana was among a group trying to organize something and JBD is trying too. Let's see if we can get something started out in the open so we can see who is really interested, when, and for how long.

Right now, we have a group coming up to dive on Sat. June 1 in the Straits of Mackinaw (Jeff's group). We have the boat chartered for the entire day with two spots open. If anyone is interested in that trip, let me know. Sunday has not been chartered yet, but is still open if enough people are willing to send a check (6 divers).

Let's see what happens.

Everyone raise their hands :wave: :D.

Mike

Yooper,

I have been talking to JBD about this. What is the depth we are talking about and the exposure protection?

I would love to come but JBD and I have to work out the dates and I have to verify that I can get off work.

Thanks for starting this thread to get us all organized.

Chad

If we're talking the Straits of Mackinaw, then the deepest wreck normally hit is the Eber Ward in 140' of water (deck at 125' or so). Most of the decent wrecks are between 60' and 140'. If you guys head up to Whitefish, then you're looking at depths of 100'-250' for the decent wrecks (though there are a few less than 100').

Diving up here really requires a fairly thick wetsuit, hood, boots, and gloves. Even in the Straits in late summer, you can hit a thermocline and see the water temperature drop to 50F. In Whitefish, you can expect bottom temps to be near 40F easy. I dive dry 100% of the time all year long, but wetsuits are still very much used up here.

Mike

What are the conditions? Basically I am asking all of these questions because I am a realatively new divers and have only dove locally. I want to make sure I am not going to be too far over my head. I will be taking my AOW be then and maybe nitrox.

Thanks again.

Chad

In the Straits, the diving varies depending on the wreck. Most of the wrecks are very easy dives. The great thing about the Straits is there is sooo much variety to suit anyone regarding depths, vis, type of wrecks, current, etc... The visibility is getting better every year due to the zebra mussels cleaning the water. In recent years, we have seen visibility in excess of 100' in the Spring on certain wrecks. Current isn't much of an issue on most of the wrecks I would recommend. The Straits can be simply delightful for newer divers or divers who want to see a great variety of Great Lakes shipwrecks.

Whitefish offers the most to technical divers. However, there are a few wrecks that are less than 100', but I haven't even been to some of these. A lot of recreational charters take divers to the Vienna which rests in 148' of water (deck at 130' or so). Though it's a fantastic wreck (very similar to the Eber Ward), IMO, it's too deep to take recreational divers with single 80's. There's simply no room for error. If someone is very familiar with their gear, wreck diving, and cold water diving, then maybe they could bounce down to it. The conditions in Whitefish are quite nice with no current and great vis.

Mike

Sounds good it sounds like I will need my nitrox cert first but that is doable. If I can just work out the time at work I think JBD and I will head that way sometime. Thanks for the info.

Chad

Great! Maybe you guys can post how long you intend to stay once you find out.

Here are some sites that everyone can use for reference.

http://www.execpc.com/~bbaillod/links.html -- Just scroll down and read all about Great Lakes shipwrecks.

http://abyssdivecharters.com/ -- These guys run a top-notch charter service who do both recreational and technical charters. I have dove with them a lot. Good charters are hard to find up here and fill up pretty quickly.

www.stignace.com -- St. Ignace (pronounced Saint Eggnis) is the town on the north shore of the Straits of Mackinaw. The Mackinaw Bridge connects the Upper Peninsula to the Lower Peninsula of Michigan from St. Igance to Mackinaw City. This is a nice little tourist town with plenty of lodging, restaurants, and entertainment.

Mike

Hi L/Y

We have been talking about tying to set up a trip to Lake Superior sometime this summer. But figured we would talk to ya all about it on the boat up in the Straits in June. We have not yet took our Tech class but have dove up there before. I went last year and was on the boat with the Tech divers, and one Commercial diver. We dove the Vienna our first dive and then got blown off the lake. Our second day we dove the Osborne and the Mistec. Great dives. I hope that we will be able to set something up. We all use totally redundant pony systems cold water gear and I carry a 40cf Nitrox sling tank for decompression. I used a 100cf tank last year on the Osborne and had an ample supply of air. We dove to the Bow and then back towards the stern. I hit 165ft on the bottom off of the bow and the Tech divers went down in the Cargo hold and hit 174ft. We know what the area is like and would like to tell you now that we want to set something up.

Jeff Great lakes diver

P.S. I heard from my buddy who does want to join us in the straits and wanted to know how to get ahold of you. Let me know how you want him to get ahold of you. He wants to dive the full day on June 1st and his girl friend wants to dive the morning trip only.

Great! Just have them send me their deposit. I'll send you a PM.

Just pick a date you want to dive Whitefish and we can set something up for that. How many are interested in that trip?

Mike

Hey Mike

Sounds good. There will be two mabe three. Were the only ones that have been there out of our small dive group. We had a great time and are looking forward to going back. We will talk more about it on June 1st

Jeff Great lakes diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom