Information Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me2

New
Reaction score
I am not too sure it's old or a dive light for that matter. If those batteries are original, the light is fairly new- at least mid 80s on and it does not appear to have any kind of seal where the 2 sections join, the joint appears to be a simple unsealed flange joint. No way that would work under water. I am thinking it may be some sort of light used in mining or maybe cave exploring. Is there any brand or model information on it??

It does have a seal but most dive related equipment uses an oring seal, not a flat flange gasket like that. My bet is still either some kind of industrial light or one intended for cave exploration..... it just occurred to me that it's not likely industrial either since it would almost certainly have an explosion proof rating on it if it were. The batteries are clearly marked as recyclable so that indicates it's not old as well.

I agree with Herman.

The geometry of that container with all the flat surfaces (or mostly flat) indicates that it was probably not designed for external pressure. Under any significant external pressure, just the flexing of the flat surface will probably cause a leak in the gasket area.

There is a reason why most underwater canisters involve cylindrical shapes (or similar curve surfaces).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom