CBS Report on Similan Islands Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Interesting report on last night's news (Dan Rather) on the damage to the reefs and marine life off the Similan Islands (located about one hundred kilometers northwest of Phuket) following the tsunami.

Showed UW video of the coral reefs before and after. They look totally trashed. Also showed a live jellyfish swimming around with a big tear thru its body. The locals were saying that the fish were wandering around all confused after the tsunami hit.

I've heard that not all of the Similans were so seriously affected. It apparently depended on the geographic position and orientation of the individual island. Hope that is true.

The media seems to focus mainly on the serious devastation (better news) rather than some of the more positive stories about recovery (wel, unless it involves the US effort).

Dr. Bill

I saw that report also and am wondering how extensive the damage really is. I hope it's not widespread, the region has had it’s share of tragedy without having it’s reefs damaged so badly.

drbill:
I've heard that not all of the Similans were so seriously affected. It apparently depended on the geographic position and orientation of the individual island. Hope that is true.

The media seems to focus mainly on the serious devastation (better news) rather than some of the more positive stories about recovery (wel, unless it involves the US effort).

Dr. Bill

I saw the report as well, the report even states that the devastation was "hit or miss" with stretches of coral that weren't affected and then some a few miles away completely obliderated.

they still had several dead people in the water 40 miles away! I wonder if anyone will go out and pick 'em up?

SuPrBuGmAn:
I saw the report as well, the report even states that the devastation was "hit or miss" with stretches of coral that weren't affected and then some a few miles away completely obliderated.

Here is a part of an email from a dive operator in the area (January 3):
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The tsunami waves only caused destructions in 4 specific dive sites. The rest
of the sites remain in tact and are as beautiful as ever. In fact our survey
team reported the best ever visibility and high density of marine life.

The sites that were affected in the Similan are 'Breakfast bend', Island #7
and part of 'Deep Six' to the north of Island #6. Koh Tachai was badly
damaged. Only a limited number of sites (mainly shallow reefs) in the Surin
Islands have been affected. Like in the Similan the damages are localized
and specific.

"East of Eden" off Island #6 ( one of our favorite dive site) remains as
picture perfect as before and all the wrecks are still in tact. Richelieu
Rock remains vibrant with its soft coral and teeming marine inhabitants. Red
and Purple Rocks (Hin Daeng & Hin Muang) that are located south of Phuket
are also not affected.

Dive sites in the Mergui area in Myanmar have not been affected by the
tsunami waves at all. Except at Silvertip Bank, sharks and other pelagic
were still encountered at Heckford and New Banks.

The CBS report was a travesty. The owner of the Ocean Rover was kind enough to allow them onboard and they distorted what they saw to make a story.

Here is Jeroen's version :

"To those of you who saw Ocean Rover in the CBS News report about coral damage: do not believe what they are telling you! We are furious at CBS. One of their producers contacted us and asked if we could help them get to the Similan Islands to report on coral damage. They assured us the piece would be “fair & balanced”.

We did everything we could to assist the CBS news team and they spend half a day filming and interviewing people on board Ocean Rover. One of our clients kindly gave them his underwater video footage for use during the broadcast. CBS promised our client that his footage would be used in a responsible manner.

Our Cruise Director Hans Tibboel described one specific divesite in Surin Island with the words: “it looked like a giant sandblaster was used”. Again, Hans was describing only one divesite and made positive remarks about the actual lack of damage at other places. Of course, the CBS editor used the “sandblast” soundbite and hardly anything else. Footage was also arranged in a “before & after” method that is not consistent with the real situation. All the beautiful “before” footage shown by CBS was actually filmed AFTER the tsunami.

Somehow the media just cannot help themselves and turn everything into a gloom & doom story. CBS should be ashamed of what they did here. We have talked to their producer since but of course she blames the New York editor. This is the way the media works. The way the news piece came out is 100% the opposite of what was promised to us. We urge fellow dive operators to be very careful in dealing with the media. These people do not let scruples get in the way of a juicy story. Shameful!

The CBS piece is damaging to our reputation and business. It paints the wrong picture about the true level of coral damage in the Similans AND it makes our own website reports look like lies. All we can say is when you dive with us, you trust us with your lives. When you read our website, you can trust us to be truthful."

Ocean Rover Web Site :

www.ocean-rover.com/latest-news/tsunamiupdates.htm

Happy Diving!

The network is called cBS. I knew as soon as I heard that it had anything to do with Dan Rather that it was a story full of crap! :cussing: Well at least the old buzzard will be gone soon. I just don't trust that network for accurate news, and here is yet another example of the incompetence of the network. I am glad to hear that the actual damage is not as great as the media would like it to be.

Sunrise:
The CBS report was a travesty. The owner of the Ocean Rover was kind enough to allow them onboard and they distorted what they saw to make a story.

Here is Jeroen's version :

"To those of you who saw Ocean Rover in the CBS News report about coral damage: do not believe what they are telling you! We are furious at CBS. One of their producers contacted us and asked if we could help them get to the Similan Islands to report on coral damage. They assured us the piece would be “fair & balanced”.

We did everything we could to assist the CBS news team and they spend half a day filming and interviewing people on board Ocean Rover. One of our clients kindly gave them his underwater video footage for use during the broadcast. CBS promised our client that his footage would be used in a responsible manner.

Our Cruise Director Hans Tibboel described one specific divesite in Surin Island with the words: “it looked like a giant sandblaster was used”. Again, Hans was describing only one divesite and made positive remarks about the actual lack of damage at other places. Of course, the CBS editor used the “sandblast” soundbite and hardly anything else. Footage was also arranged in a “before & after” method that is not consistent with the real situation. All the beautiful “before” footage shown by CBS was actually filmed AFTER the tsunami.

Somehow the media just cannot help themselves and turn everything into a gloom & doom story. CBS should be ashamed of what they did here. We have talked to their producer since but of course she blames the New York editor. This is the way the media works. The way the news piece came out is 100% the opposite of what was promised to us. We urge fellow dive operators to be very careful in dealing with the media. These people do not let scruples get in the way of a juicy story. Shameful!

The CBS piece is damaging to our reputation and business. It paints the wrong picture about the true level of coral damage in the Similans AND it makes our own website reports look like lies. All we can say is when you dive with us, you trust us with your lives. When you read our website, you can trust us to be truthful."

Ocean Rover Web Site :

www.ocean-rover.com/latest-news/tsunamiupdates.htm

Happy Diving!

Justin699:
The network is called cBS. I knew as soon as I heard that it had anything to do with Dan Rather that it was a story full of crap!QUOTE]

And let me just repeat "All the beautiful “before” footage shown by CBS was actually filmed AFTER the tsunami."

"cBS, with Dan Blather, and all the news thats fit to fabricate."

Back
Top Bottom