Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: UEMIS battery replacement - cont.

Dive Shop

Has not set a "status"

2 more awaken from the dead today. Couple of the things I noticed today was that 1 of the units the battery actually got flooded. Luckily when they built these the circuit board is pretty safe from water intrusion. On the other, the positive terminal of the battery had just cracked apart. When jumping from battery to board the unit awakened. Unfortunately there isn't enough battery lead to rework it, but the new batteries we're using are bigger and seem to be lasting folks longer anyways.
    Sea Level Scuba
    4155 Dow Rd Suite U
    Melbourne, Florida 32934
    (321)255-1825

Find us on Facebook

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Mine just died on me. The soft hissing coming from the device indicated battery failure. Upon inspection the battery had expanded, and was wet. It's unclear which caused which, but the resin was obviously cracked. It could be that the battery threw a fit, expanded (seen that happen before with recharchables) then cracked the seal, or the seal crack, shorting the battery and causing the battery to swell. Either way, going so see what I can salvage.

Liberated the old battery, definitely swollen. Looking back, my first failure in 2010 was also a complete failure, and was due to the battery dying due to a faulty charching circuit (according to Uemis at the time). This makes sense, this technology is very sensitive to that. Question is, of course, if this means that a new lipo cell will eventually fry as well.

Also considering using Shoogoo or similar as sealant.
    Last edited by ijdod; June 30th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

HIi Ijdod, I had exacly the same problem with mine, swollen battery. I'm sending it back to uemis for repair. We'll know soon if it's just a battery faillure or if the crack in the seal has damaged anything else.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I'm going to give replacing the battery myself a try first.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Battery successfully replaced, the unit is alive again. Sealed it with shoe goo, now letting it settle for a couple of days, then a diving test.

Main question for is: do I trust it enough to take on holiday :P
    reeko likes this.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Did two fairly long and deep dives today, the SDA worked as expected. Shoegoo works beautifully, but takes forever to cure (think 2-3 weeks).

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Anyone know where you can buy Raytech "Magic Gel" in the US?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123