UEMIS battery replacement - cont.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ARK

Registered
Reaction score
I have ordered 3 LiPo batteries to see what is the biggest I can fit in the battery compartment. Two of them, E-flite 500mAh and Tigers 600 mAh fit easilly. IMG_5081-1.jpg I have soldered in E-flite 500mAh ( since it arrived first) and after charging it SDA run for 8 hr's continously on land on 100% screen intensity. Next two batteries arrive simultaneously ( Tigers 600 mAh and Turbo Ace Lipo 900 mAh).IMG_5080.jpg
Tigers 600 mAh has almost the same dimentions as E-flite. Turbo Ace 900 is larger and to squeeze it into the battery compartment I had to trim the wrapp: IMG_5083.jpg
After that battery fitts into the compartment thightly. I have soldered terminals to the oryginal battery board on the top:IMG_5084.jpg
Battery compartment is closing with little room on the top for filling compound. Schott from Sea Level Scuba recomended GE RTV 615 resin which is used to seal batteries on other computers. After charging I am going to run the SDA on new battery to see how long it will last and report later.

Regarding battery size (and unfortunately how it fits to the compartment), I would go for the higher capacity. The original lipo is probably around 900mAh- 1Ah.

Thanks for sharing those information. Do you have links for the lipo and resin ?

I have removed the wires and soldered battery terminals directly to the old battery board. It all fitts thightly into the battery compartment. I have then sealed the compartment with RTV 615. It took 8 cc's of compund to seal the compartment. IMG_5087.jpg
I do not have a link for RTV since I got it from Schott. It's quite expensive... I have ordered battery from Wow Hobbies and it arrived in a couple of days. HM-V120D05-Z-25-92: Turbo Ace LiPo Battery, 900mAh, 25C, 3.7V (1-S), JST & Micro Connector for Walkera M120D01 & V120D05

Here is final proof of life: IMG_5089.jpg

BTW, If somebody needs battery replacement and does not want to do it by himself, Schott at Sea Level Scuba in Melbourne, Florida can provide the service.

Congratulations Alex on this whole terrible episode being behind us. After all this, and this was really a pretty easy thing to resolve, one can't help but think that if Uemis and their representitives was a bit more forthcoming with help and information they might still had a chance of surviving.

So for a $12 battery, about $15 of sealant, your $2k investment is doing more than holding papers down now. Hopefully it will help many others out there who have found themselves in the same situation.

Hi Alex,

Thank your for the pictures and guidlines..

How many hours UEMIS last with this battery ?

Is It the same as the orginal one ?

Please share your test results with us

Regards

By the way, it seems that RTV 615 costs nearly 205 $/lb

RTV Silicones

Yes, RTV-615 it is quite expensive, but cheap compared to the computer, and worth it when you have to do it again later. This is the same sealant we use when replacing batteries on the USD monitor series computers, the properties are ideal for the environment in which we use these computers and easily r/r'd on repeat services. Doesnt take much at all, they just dont sell it in small quantities.

Well I'm sure I wouldnt be the only one happy to buy a kit made up of that 900mah battery cut and prepped as per the pics and sufficient 615 to do the job with a little to spare. Add a few $$'s for your time and effort and everyones happy!

I run "dry" test on the 900 mAh battery setting screen brightness on Max. Battery lasted 11 hr's before sign "do Not Dive" appeared. Little less then I expected however this is the biggest battery I could find to fit into the compartment. Could not test it underwater cause of the weather. Will keep you posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom