New England Red Lobster - Spiny Lobster dividing line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quetzal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
1. Where do Spinies stop showing up and Red Lobsters start?
2. Is there any over lap in there ranges?
3. We have Spinies here in SC NC right?
4. Also are these excatly the same species as the ones in Florida?
5. If so why are the ones here "SC, NC" so much bigger?
6. Is it just fishing presure?

I would guess the ones in FL are fished a hellovalot more and they don't have a chance to get any bigger. Every so often, people still pull em up just as big in FL or the Gulf of Mex.

QUETZAL:
1. Where do Spinies stop showing up and Red Lobsters start? ?
Mostly in the New England States
QUETZAL:
2. Is there any over lap in there ranges??
It's too deep to dive for spiney's since they like reef structure and the gulf stream curves out away from land. Maine Lobsters are more tolerant of cold water.
QUETZAL:
3. We have Spinies here in SC NC right? ?
Ahh Yep.
QUETZAL:
4. Also are these excatly the same species as the ones in Florida? ?
Give or take some, but the Northern bugs are usually bigger. Don't see many spotted's or slippers coming from the northern states
QUETZAL:
5. If so why are the ones here "SC, NC" so much bigger? ?
As said before, less hunters. You don't get to be a 10 pounder by walking around in the open sand for very long before a shark or grouper eats you. Lots of biggies will have fuzz or moss growing on their legs from lack of movement.
QUETZAL:
6. Is it just fishing presure?
Rephrase that to be hunting pressure. That's part of it. Depth & temp is another. Remember the 60-80 foot reefs are just 2 miles offshore from West Palm Bch but 20-30 from SC shores. The colder the temps the slower they move. Bugs eat stuff like snails and small stuff that they can crack with their powerful jaws.

Seems to me I remember an experiment in the early 70's trying to grow Northern clawed lobsters in central or South Florida in ocean pens. As I recall it worked in a limited way, as long as you kept them from cannibalisim. It was not a commericaly viable process. I don't know if it was ever tried in the reverse, South to North.

Do a google search on 'homarus americanus'(aka American, Atlantic, Maine, etc. Lobster) and select any of the first few links. There's more info in those links than you could possibly digest in one sitting...burp! I'm getting hungry.

LobstaMan

Lobster get just as big here in NE Fla.I've also seen big ones(over #10)all the way down to Ft Pierce.The limit of 2 per person and no commercial harvest North of the Fla/Ga state line may have some bearing as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom