Learning to spearfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sneakysnook

Reaction score
How do I learn to spearfish. Do I take a class or can I just go out with someone. I really would like to learn more about it but need someone to show me what to do.

Some dive ops will offer spearfishing classes. I'm sure most poeple just went with others who've done and watched and learned from them. Thats pretty much what I did...

I'd recommend starting out with a polespear, it'll help your aiming and depth perception. They're a bit easier to handle UW, which will help you get acclimated to messing with the new tool as well as working with the fish once you've hit em.

Get a nice big gun from there :D

I'll 2nd Chad's recommendation. He does post here on this board and is very good. His website to contact him is:
http://www.mobilescuba.com/

if you can get someone to show you the ropes the right way, that would be best. I'm a DM on a boat that caters to spear fishing divers. I've seen some pretty God awful things, and I've also seen some truly brilliant hunters. I'm learning right now myself by watching and asking a zillion questions. The guys on the boat don't seem to mind, in fact, I think they enjoy sharing their experiences. Something that truly surprised me was how seldom the hunters actually shot fish. I had assumed that they would kill something every time ....WRONG. I cant vouch for Mr Chad, but i can vouch for our SB members. If one of our guys (make that 2 of our guys) are saying he's the man... than there's a really good chance he is indeed, The Man...

Best of luck to you, keep us updated on how it all goes.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Some dive ops will offer spearfishing classes. I'm sure most poeple just went with others who've done and watched and learned from them. Thats pretty much what I did...

I'd recommend starting out with a polespear, it'll help your aiming and depth perception. They're a bit easier to handle UW, which will help you get acclimated to messing with the new tool as well as working with the fish once you've hit em.

Get a nice big gun from there :D

I used a pole spear for many years even though I owned a short gun. I found the gun to be less accurate and it didn't extend my range much at all.

Here is my question, I would like to spearfish off Louisiana rigs, what kind of gun/pole do I need?

sneakysnook:
How do I learn to spearfish. Do I take a class or can I just go out with someone. I really would like to learn more about it but need someone to show me what to do.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

sneakysnook,

Since you're in Tampa and I'm in St Pete, it will be very easy to arrange instruction.
Hopefully soon after the storm some good shallow water conditions will be returning.

Send me an e-mail if you'd like more information.

serambin,

You asked, "What gun do I need?", and that's a big question! The answer is not an easy one, except to say "the gun(s) that's right for you." I'd do some searches on Spearboard's gun section.

Good luck dealing with Katrina!

Chad

chadcarney@verizon.net

baitedstorm:
I'm a DM on a boat that caters to spear fishing divers.

I think your Kim and a few more of us spearo's on are Friday the 2nd's boat with JDC. I can help with a couple of stalking tips. Hop on if you can!!

Johnoly:
I think your Kim and a few more of us spearo's on are Friday the 2nd's boat with JDC. I can help with a couple of stalking tips. Hop on if you can!!
:laughing: Nope, I'm not the lovely Miss Kimberely and I actual don't work with JDC. I just started working on the Blue Tang. Friday's are our 3 tank dives and when all the hunters tend to flock to the boat. You should come by and say hi sometime.

sneakysnook:

If you just started diving you may want to try free dive spearing just to get the "feel" of it. Carrying a gun on scuba, hunting, shooting, getting a fish off the spear etc etc is a lot to do for a new diver just getting buoancy wired and not experienced at gas management etc etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom