Puerto Vallarta Spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gclance

Reaction score
Im going to Puerto Vallarta to fish and I thought I might bring my speargun and freedive off the beaches/rocks, does anyone know anything about spearfishing down there? Where to spear, what gun to bring, what type of fish, etc.. If so let me Know, Thanks.

What kind of fishing do you want to do? There are big game fish at Corbetena for both rod a reel fishing as well as spear fishing. I don't spearfish but do a lot of sportfishing and the big tuna are back. The marlin are back too, I caught a 370 lb. Black a couple of weeks ago and released about a 500 lb. Blue. There are also lots of Rock Bass near the shore but all you need is a Hawaiian Sling for those. If you want some Yellow Fin you better bring your big gun and some floats!

Welcome to ScubaBoard gclance! You'll definitely find the info you need here. If you didn't get all you need from Dennis, try this forum for Mexico spearfishing questions:

ScubaBoard > Regional Travel & Dive Clubs > North America > Mexico

Take care,

wetrat

Hello gclance,

seems like you already got some good advice. :)

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

I'm sure you can get your answers on the Mexico forum.

:zorros: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta did Some free Diving With A magnum 450 XHD Nice i cought some tuna nice jio there is the dive shop owner had the plesure to have him out on a privete rental of his vesal and him self as the guide it was a blast good guy ther at twin dalphins

Isnt there an Island or a chain of them right there?? tres Maria's or something like that, dont really recall. Remeber some of the Long Range Sportfishing fleet would be at cleophis for HUGE tuna. cows!

ssrmr2:
Isnt there an Island or a chain of them right there?? tres Maria's or something like that, dont really recall. Remeber some of the Long Range Sportfishing fleet would be at cleophis for HUGE tuna. cows!

I think you mean Corbetena, a sea mount about 34 miles out. We dive there occaisionally but I also fish there a lot, rod and reel. A friend of mine who is on this board, captnkurt, is a charter boat captain and he had a client from England on a big Yellow Fin for 5 hours a couple of weeks ago. I don't spearfish but I would assume several floats would be in order if you do. At this time of year you can see schools of 200 lbers jumping 5' out of the water. Lots of Marlin, Wahoo and Dorado (mahi mahi) too. Big Pargos for the spearfisherman but not many go out there. We will take a tank out there in case the fishing is slow, great dives there.

Mmmmmmmm, sashimi....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom