Spear Guns in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy Mackerel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone ever bring down spear guns to Mexico. I am looking into buying one, and taking a trip to baja soon. I know guns are illegal and will get you into the Carcel!!! I wouldn't want that to happen because of a spear gun.

Thanks,

Chris

Holy Mackerel:
Anyone ever bring down spear guns to Mexico. I am looking into buying one, and taking a trip to baja soon. I know guns are illegal and will get you into the Carcel!!! I wouldn't want that to happen because of a spear gun.

Thanks,

Chris

You should get a Mexico fishing licence, you can find information here http://bajaquest.com/bajasports/rules.htm

I have never had any issues with spearguns. I usually pack them in my surfboard bag with the board, strapped to the roof. Road checks with openly visable pole spears have never caused any problems either.

One note, if you are traveling with a group, you should consider keeping someone on shore with your car and belongings. Petty theft can be an issue and a good friend had a breakin while kayaking between Mulege and Loreto. Some money, regs, gauges, etc were stole. They broke a window to get in.

Be polite, clean up behind yourself (if camping) and enjoy the trip. I love going down Baja.

I have posted the same question and never did receive a definitive answer... Sort of. I know that band guns are OK in Mexico, but my question is with the pnuematics. Technically a pnuematic fires a projectile with compressed gas which actually IS the definition of a firearm.
All that having been said, I still don't know about pnuematics... The only answers I received were from those who have "used them for years." I would like to hear from someone who has actually been stopped at the border and told that the pnuematic speargun was "OK in Mexico."

It is highly illegal to take game while using scuba equipment. You must free dive without any breathing apparatus if you wish to hunt. They will put you in jail if you are caught coming up with a tank and a spear in your hand. Other than this notice, you will have no problems taking your spear gun down baja. Watch out for the topes before every town, they are often not marked. 30km south of laredo is great diving if you have 4wd to get to the coast of highway 1. about 60 km north of guerro negro is also good diving on the pacific side. Don't worry about getting stopped at the border. Pull over when you cross and run into the office and pick up your fmt permit, and head on down. you will encounter about 8 military checkpoints if you go from tj all the way to la paz or so. they will search through your stuff more thoroughly on the way back up. don't drink anything if you plan on driving. don't carry any presciption drugs (US script isn't valid in mexico) as the military boys will question you about them, then arrest you till the federales come pick you up and take you to jail.

have fun.

Thanks for the info Mike. I will be heading down in a couple of weeks to La Penita,Nayarit
in the next couple of weeks.Are there any permits that are needed to spearfish? Also has anyone fished the area?

Here is the deal on Spearguns in Mex.

Rubber band powerd guns only. Pneumatic guns are illegal.

Freedive only

No harvesting of anything that is not a fish, ie lobster, crab, scallops, octupuss, squid, etc. If its not a fish dont touch it.

You must have a valid mexican fishing licence to use a speargun off of a boat, but shore diving does not require any fishing licence. It also helps to carry your fishing licence with you when transporting your band powered spearguns while in Mex. but is not required by law.

Any boat you go on must be licenced and insured to carry freedivers for spearfishing. It is a special box that is marked on the licence of your guide operator. You guide should be carrying all of the information for you to see and in case of inspection.

Look for the box marked "Bucea Libre" If this box is not marked than they are not legal. The problem for the innocent spearo is that if an unlicenced guide is caught with you on the boat all of the gear on the boat can be taken as evidence. Including your stuff.

The reason I know is that I am required to have all of this and more paperwork and insurance through the Mexican Government in order to operate legaly.

That being said......

I have never been checked, I have been on many boats and Pangas in Baja CA Mex that I am sure where not licenced for freedivers and nothing happend.

If you bring your own boat you just need your fishing licence and your boat permit, and you are set.

Mexico is one of the best spearfishing places on the earth....:14:

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com
www.spearfishingvideos.com
www.sea-wolves.com

Interesting. I have brought my guns to Mexico, used a pvc tube with easy access screw on caps for inspection. We dove Barracuda and the current was so swift the fish had little to worry about. We dove with tanks and nobody gave us a second glance. My time share is near Barracuda reef and I watched a couple of locals dive for over an hour from one of those little commercial boats and they caught a bunch of fish. This was about 2 weeks ago. I was watching with binos and they used a small orange float to keep the boat oriented. The only stipulation I was aware of was that the boat had to get the Capt. of the harbors permission to dive Barracuda. I don't doubt the previous post are correct, just news to me.

Joe,

What you see is poaching. One of the main ways that poachers get fish in mexico is to take a boat with a tank and go out at night and shoot the hell out of all sleeping grouper and snapper. Those guys where out in the day but it is still illegal. I dont know where your location is but, it is normal to be in mexico for years before you find out what the laws acutaly are. There is very little enforcement of the laws in many areas but they are still there to follow if you want.

Mexico can be a funny place, one time I had the police tell me that spearguns where illegal.

GTB
www.spearfishingvideos.com
www.gonetobaja.com
www.sea-wolves.com

Back
Top Bottom