Why do you spearfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got into the sport for the challenge. Now I'm hooked not only on the challenge but the reward as well. I have not eaten a fish that I have not personally taken in many years.

It's also a great opportunity to meet like-minded people and share in a sport that many feel no person can ever truly master.

It fun, its challenging, it adds another angle to this whole diving thing, and it provides fish for my freezer.

......it's FUN !!! I can't scuba and shoot by law but I'm out there every chance I get free diving. In the sea, you just never know what might show up and I guess I live for the day there's a 20lb snapper or grouper in range....

I haven't done any spearfishing myself, but been on the boat with plenty of people who do. I'm seriously contemplating getting a gun and shooting some fish myself. The reason would be.... DINNER!!! I really like fresh fish and consider spearfishing to be the most eco-friendly way of getting what I need/want and nothing more!

Rachel

I got into the sport to have something to do when bug season has ended. Now that I've been doing it for a while, I really like the skill, excitement and enjoying the sweet rewards on the dinner table.

But mostly I like spearfishing just because you meet so many new people that enjoy the same activities. Just like the photog's, if you load up a boat full of people who enjoy your hobby, we probably won't shut up, and will be laughing, talking and sharing stories about our hobby. You can take away my equipment, but don't take my friends, that's why I love it!!

It's the thrill that comes along with it aside from the pelagics I bring to dinner. It open ups new skills to meet the challenge of underwater hunting. Too bad this hobby of mine is somewhat misunderstood here by the so called "environmentally friendly people". Sadly, these are the very people whom you see at the restaurants ordering live fish.

Safe hunting,

Chris......

if i were to hunt (which i don't) it'd be for the food

you get to dive and bring back fresh fish for dinner ... a win-win combo, in my book

I spearfish for the food and the sport. I am absolutely a horrible fisherman with a rod and reel and usally catch sticks. When I spearfish I can pick the fish I want and leave the ones I don't without any nasty hooks in their mouths.

I was getting bored with scuba so I took up spearfishing as a sideline sport. Plus I only eat fish that I or a friend caught so now I get to eat fish again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom