Pole Spear Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about getting a pole spear. I will be doing most of diving in New England and so far have not seen visibility greater than 15 feet at any of my local dive spots. Currently I am thinking that my prey will mostly be flounder and black fish. Based on what I have been reading a pole spear will fit my needs better than band or pneumatic gun.

I have seen advertisements for folding and collapsible pole spears. I like the idea of folding spear that I can quickly assemble underwater. But I question the durability and strength.

The collapsible spear also sounds like a nice feature. Anyone with recommendations on brands, and or features to look for or stay away from?

JBL makes a nice collapsable too, but its damned expensive. For flounder, I'd recommend a swivel tip with two wings so you can stack the fish on the pole. Gives you more time to hit multiple fish when they are around instead of wasting time stringing every fish after a kill.

I really Like John Martin's pole spears. you can find him on ebay under "Linghunt" or "linghunter". better quality then the JBL, and less money. he'll also build to spec. very very happy with mine.

Thanks for the recommendations, any advise on whether to go with an aluminum pole or a fiberglass one?

I personally really like Ray's 3 piece alumunum takedown. It fits inside my gear bag. If I want, I can leave out the middle section & have a 4 ft pole when the viz is crappy. It costs a bit more but worth it by far.

Stick with aluminum, its more rigid and will hold straight when its fired. Fiberglass flexes when you pull the band forward and wobbles when its released, doesn't feel as accurate.

I feel the rigidity and slight extra weight of aluminum help move through freeswimming fish easier as well.

I use the JBL three piece aluminum with the paralizer tip for snapper or sheepshead and the a two wing point if I'm realy into the flounder. Love it so far, abt 15 dives with it.

Go with Aluminum, I have used glass polespears and they have too much flex. The alloy spears will also give you more mass and better contact with your prey. Well worth the extra money IMO.

Back
Top Bottom