Spearfishing regs in Arizona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhxDiver

Reaction score
Anybody know what the spearfishing regulations are for Arizona lakes? I looked the Fishing regulations online but couldn't find anything about spearfishing. Also, does anyone here spearfish in az?
thanks

There aren't any specific regs that I'm aware of. You just need a fishing license. The only caution I have is that Arizona lakes are frequented by lots of people for boating and swimming. The lakes are usually packed on the weekends. Another thing, I'm not sure if you've done much diving in the Arizona lakes, but there aren't very many large fish there. I haven't seen anyone spearfishing when I dive the lakes, and I've done dozens of dives in them.

Good one Chad :eyebrow: Thanks! That made my day here at work. Not to steal the thread, but is there a general rule where a lake is diveable or not other than asking a local diver if I can find one??

There's a couple of water reservoir here which are diveable and I just need permission from the water company that owns it. Any one ever dive a reservoir, any dangers??

Dive Safe,

Dan

Chad Carney:
There is water in Arizona? :D

Chad

Where are you at, Dan? Typically you won't be granted permission to dive a reservoir owned by a water company. Too many issues they don't want to deal with. If you're looking to dive local bodies of water and aren't sure whether it's allowed, you need to call whoever is in charge of maintaining the lake/pond/reservoir.

As far as I've found, you can only spearfish for carp and striped bass in Arizona. I thought about spearfishing, but carp isn't exactly my favorite dish...

PhxDiver:
Anybody know what the spearfishing regulations are for Arizona lakes? I looked the Fishing regulations online but couldn't find anything about spearfishing. Also, does anyone here spearfish in az?
thanks

+ Don't throw your spear off the edge of the Grand Canyon
+ Don't set your spear on the table, you might knock off the frijoles
+ Don't lean your spear on a seguaro
+ No spear fishing at the base of the Glen Canyon Dam
+ Any gila monsters found in the water should be returned to shore carefully, very carefully
+ .44 magnums are illegal to use in any spearfishing activities
+ In many areas you may need to bring your own water

Just a few of the more obscure regulations.

Good Spearing,

Dave

As of the new 2009-2010 Regs you can now spearfish for Striped bass in any of the designated lakes. They seem to include most of the larger, more common lakes. Lake pleasant is included, but I have not found anything on other lakes such as saguaro and bartlett. Powell, Mead, Mohave, and willow beach all allow spearing of stripped bass. Note: An individual may not practice spearfishing within 200 yards of any boat dock or designatedswimming area.

The more I read the AZGFD regs, it appears that carp are ok to shoot in any body of water as long as you do not get within the 200 yard rule. Hope this helps. To view all the regs, visit AZGFD.GOV

Hope this helps

Cow is right. Pleasent is the most common in the valley Powell up north. One can also take stripers in the colorado river Bullhead City.

The one to call would be The dive Shack in Bullhead City since they host an annual spearfishing Tournament. 928-758-3483.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom