Spearfishing with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECVdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
what is the board opinion of hunting with a rebreather. I have talked to a few of my freinds and in general we come to the same conclusion. "ALL IS FARE IN LOVE AND BREATHING UNDER WATER" or something like that. But I am open to other opinions and would like to read them.

Its illegal within Florida State waters.

As I understand though - there is no federal restriction against it.

Would a photographers pictures be anyless rewarding if they were shot wile diving a rebreather.

ECVdiver:
Would a photographers pictures be anyless rewarding if they were shot wile diving a rebreather.
No. ---

ECVdiver:
what is the board opinion of hunting with a rebreather. I have talked to a few of my freinds and in general we come to the same conclusion. "ALL IS FARE IN LOVE AND BREATHING UNDER WATER" or something like that. But I am open to other opinions and would like to read them.
It sounds like an efficient way to harvest fish, if that is your goal. I agree with Thal, though; it doesn't sound very sporting.

It would seem to me that anytime a person is in a hostile unbreathable enviorment "sporting" is term that should be used with caution.

Just one guys opinion.

I dunno what would make them unsporting. Spearing while free diving, there are no bubbles. So if the notion is that bubbles spook the fish, it would seem that hunting on scuba would be more sporting than when free diving.

I have done & do both. With many fish not much matters, they're just plumb stupid. With others, bubbles or lack of bubbles means nothing. body language, hand movement & such matters far more. Let a grouper turn & hit you with with his lateral line when you make a sudden move with your hand & that puppy is out of there right now.

FL state law says they're illegal. No particular reason, just at some point in time, someone with either money enough to have influence or simply being in a position of power, managed to make that the law. There may or may not be any actual justification for that ban.

But the fundamental basic of game & fish management here in the USA is that we primarily manage by bag limits, not method of take. For example, we're allowed one greater amberjack per day per person. Spear it, either free dive or scuba, or catch it hook & line, doesn't matter. 1 fish.

To me, how the fish is taken is irrelevant to management. You have x number of dead fish at the end of the day. if spearing on an RB was permitted, you'd still only have 1 AJ per diver per day taken at most, so the RB is irrelevant.

And AJ happen to be one of those really, really stupid fish. They''re in the running to be the stupidest fish out there. I frequently use the muzzle of my gun to push them out of the ay so I can see what's behind them.

plus, you have the chance that the RB itself (AKA the 'Death Box') will kill you while you're busy with a fish. seems to me that alone might make it a bit more sporting, no?

I think, based on some experience, that anytime one shoots a fish over 15 kg at a depth of over 30 meters, it's a challenge. You can get lucky and get a "stone" shot...some more than others....but if you don't, things can turn ugly real fast no matter what kind of gear you're using. Perhaps moreso with the extra task loading of using a rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom