Does anyone here take lobster by hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer to the title of your post is "Yes, it is standard proceedure and the only legal way in California"

North of Cape Cod, there's already an upper limit on lobsters, and yes... we do take them by hand. South of the cape, I personally think introducing a maximum is a great idea. It should help sustain the population, as larger lobsters have significantly more breeding capacity.

In any case, not being able to land a big'un doesn't mean you can get trophy photos of Lobzilla wrestling underwater.

Right now in Florida most lobsters have had a run in with a diver or two by now and they get educated pretty quick. The bigger ones will start to back up in the hole as you approach, and can not be tickled back out, leaving your hand as the only option. Best to clear the hole with a stick first to make sure an eel is not waiting for you.

Watch the bite on a spiney, it can take the end of your finger off even though they don't have claws. I only use hands. I can't carry any more equipment or I won't need any dive weights.

I think this is a great idea. The larger ones have greater reproductive potential and should be allowed to remain to keep the population healthy. I'm not sure about "Maine" lobster but ours here in SoCal taste better when they are in the 1-3# range anyway.

And, as has been stated, they are taken by hand only here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom