Learn to spearfish!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BanditDJB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to go spearfishing but I have never done it before. Whats the best way to learn how? I want to learn to do it safely and I need to learn the rules?

Is there a certification or organization regulating spearfishing?

The best way to learn is to go with people who already know how, there is no organization that you need a cert from, but you will need to follow your states saltwater fishing laws. Don't worry La is pretty lax and most spearing will be done in federal waters anyway since you have to go a long way to get to the good rigs to hunt on. I do know some people will hunt in the lake for Gar and sheepshead, but good luck with that vis!

Spearfishing the rigs is nothing like spearing anywhere else and is not for the faint of heart.

Just go to Hawaii. Don't need no permit or anything to spearfish there! Just make sure you're not hunting turtles, dolphins, whales, or our precious humuhumunukunukuapua'a!

Check into 1 of the Spearfishing Clubs around New Orleans.Thats the way I learned how to do it.The clubs are the fastest and easiest way to learn.Good luck.

does practice make perfect, cause i in the same boat as you, got idea, just not sure how the successful hunters do it

is it more luck, in the right place at the right time?

Mostly it comes down to skill of the Captain to put you in the water with the fish (a certain amount of luck is here), then your skill at getting close to the fish (and how badly they seem to want to be shot... luck) and then your skill at hitting the right part of the fish and landing it (almost no luck at all involved here).

So, You dont need a fishing licence in Hawaii! Of all the states that you wouldnt need a permit! Thats pretty cool. I am planning a trip there so I will have to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom