smg speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cutterpro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have two smg spearguns (the type that launch the spears via 22. cal blanks) one is a two barell and the other a four barrell. Pls call me at 860-930-2797 to discuss them or see my thread in the equiptment sale section. it has pictures and a better discription. Great antique pieces

This recently published about the Johnson SMG Spear Gun. there is more History behind than you think. It became a New Zeeland Harpoon Gun, last designated as a Mark IV Harpoon Gun.

SNIP:
VINTAGE JOHNSON SUBMARINE SPEARGUN RARE 4-BARREL MODEL (QUAD) I purchased this item at an estate sale a few years ago. I don't know much about it, other than it being a very rare model of one of the best (and most powerful) spearguns ever made. It is awesome looking! A definite collector's item!! Johnson Submarine Speargun (SMG) is was made in the USA by Tapmatic Corp. I believe they were made around 1968. This vintage speargun uses 22 caliber cartridges to fire the spears. NO CARTRIDGES WILL BE INCLUDED. There will be 4 spears/harpoons included. One has a barb at the point -- this is the one that would be connected to the return reel. The other 3 spears do not have barbs. Here is a website that has other pictures and descriptions of the same model:I have never fired this speargun, and will not fire it. It appears to be usable, with no missing parts; but since I don't know much about it I am selling it as-is. If you have any questions about it, please ask before bidding. There will be no refunds, and I will only sell to the US - no exceptions! There is no reserve on this great item!
THIS POSTED ON E-BAY:

RARE 4-barrel JOHNSON SPEARGUN - SMG Submarine - QUAD

Item condition: Used

Ended: Jun 20, 201017:40:38 PDT

Bid history: 84 bids

Winning bid: US $7,550.00

July 29, 2010:
Gentlemen:
I found in my garage this past weekend an Original SMG (NEW IN THE BOX-Serial Number 40066) in the shipping box with all equipment it was shipped with. The Colored Plastic cartridge holders, blanks, spear shafts, spear heads, Can of Lubricant (oil) now empty from evaporation or leakage) Instruction Booklet, Schematic and spare parts drawings, etc.

This gun was Sold out of New Zealand (has Made In New Zeeland label on it) and attempts to remove the word ‘Johnson’ from the Instruction Booklet are apparent in some places but left alone in others. I tend to believe Johnson went out of business and the New Zeland Company bought the gun and/or sold it under their name as the “Mark IV SMG Harpoon Gun”. Plastic shot shells are colored Red, Purple, Yellow, Blue and Green delivering different power levels of the spear. One Spear is essentially a Bank Stick using power from the .22 Cal. Blank to subdue a fish.

This gun has never been fired, new in the box (however the box is showing lots of wear since it is over 40+ approximate years old.)

The SMG was an item mentioned in the Movie Jaws. When the scene was shot on the Dock packing and checking equipment being put on the boat before going out to hunt down the big guy, “SMG” was third on the Checklist and put on the Boat. See the Old Movie (AGAIN) :>)

Please let me know if any Museums or Collectors would be interested in this item.

Thanks,
Glenn Gunter
PADI OWSI 90677
Master Diver
(972) 742-3344

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom