Shark deterrent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riptide912

Reaction score
# of dives
What do ya'll do to stay safe? I have seen teh shark sheild for $700 but would like to know if there is something cheaper and works while spear fishing? thanks

Spend the money, if you need motivation it is shark week on dsc. It's the only thing like it i've seen on the market. I haven't seen any actual user reviews of it though. You can shop around and find it cheaper I imagine.

Lets see, you are spearfishing so apparently you will have a speargun, do you need anything more. If it threatening get out of the water, if you can't get out which is unlikely, use the gun to fend it off but not necessarily shoot it unless all else fails.

Mashed up fish guts and blood I hear works really well :D

I would suggest you arm yourself with a good education about sharks. Sharks are not thoughtless killing machines like the dumbasses at the discovery channel like to portray.

I'd suggest you find copies of the documentaries Sharkwater by Rob Stewart and End of a Myth and Beyond Fear by Ralf Keifner in which he describes the body language of sharks. Then go find a no cage shark dive to go on.

Seeing that this is your first post, you have no logged dives and you are talking about swimming with sharks I'd suggest you educate yourself before you encounter a shark as the lesson the shark will teach you comes with a high price tag.

As I always say, Eventually everyone pays for their education, one way or another.

People have been attacked with "sharkshields" all they do is annoy the shark a bit, but if you are acting like food and smelling like food, they are going to take a taste unless you can communicate that you are not food.

If sharks are known in the area, after you spear a fish, put it in the boat, don't drag it about with you leaving a trail for a shark to follow to you. Leaving a trail for a shark is called natural selection and if you do that, I'm going to root for the shark to remove you from the gene pool. Sharks are endangered, humans are not.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but their is no reason to kill a shark. A little education and you'll see why. Now grouper, halibut and tuna, go wild, them's good eatin'

If your worried then buy a sharkshield, yes they do work and they work good, they dont "annoy" a shark, they cause it a pain from the electrical signals and this deters them so they leave, dont listen to people who dont have one or seen them in action. When your spearfishing you cant always be looking behind you every second and it is usually from there that you may get bumped by a shark or one will come in to inspect your meal, a sharkshield helps in this situation, from the front of you the shield works as well but you also have a speargun to poke them if needed, there is never a time in my expierience when I thought i needed to kill or shoot a shark, they can be crious of you and your catch but never enough, thanks to my sharkshield, to really scare the crap out of me. If you have a boat that can follow you when spearing then send up your catch on lift bags/sausages after you catch them, if this is not possible them keep the stringer in your hand and close to your body while being aware of your surroundings, especially on your deco or safety stop, this is when my shield comes in handy for me.

Capt Jon,
You preach about education but call one of the best education networks names. I will admit that they are trying to get people to watch buy making things dramatic and some shows prey on peoples fears of sharks but most of the programs shown teach that sharks are not mindless killing machines but an animal to be respected.

Drop the catch if your scared or just dont do it until you learn more. All they want is the fish.

we actually had a little discussion in the chat about this and came up with a little system, use like a 1/2 lb weight just enough to sink a catch bag or fish loop and lift bag, shoot a couple fish and send up catch bag with a lift bag. then use a bouy with a line down to divers and have someone on boat get liftbag with the fish empty it while you are using a 2nd catch bag. once bag is emptied on surface have someone on boat send bag down clipped off on the bouy line with a little weight. kinda like a conveyor belt system

supplies needed:
2 fish loops or catch bags
1 lift bag
a few small weights
a bouy
however much line you need for that depth

I have yet to try it but it should work, depending on current you might need to clip a line onto the bouy line and send bag up with bouyline as a guide. at the least it will cut down on the amount of blood left through the water your in so it will be diluted down a bit

Back
Top Bottom