shark questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark bait 8762

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a serious question regarding camouflage dive suits while diving. I am a very serious diver and spearfisherman. I have been diving for a long time and have many dives under my belt. I recently purchase a grey camouflage dive suit about 2 months ago and ever since then I have had some very bad encounters with sharks off the cost of palm beach. I had about a 10 ft hammerhead get very aggresive for a good 10 minutes with me and he actually followed me up to the boat while I was banging him in the head with my speargun the whole way up. Than I had 3 bull sharks underneath me while I was at the surface getting very aggresive. Now I do understand that each time I had some fish I shot on me so of course yes they wanted my catch. But today something weird happened with about a 8-9ft nurse shark. I was hunting with a friend on mine (neither of us had fish) when the nurse came up to my dive partner. He then turned and b-linned directly at me from about a 40 ft distance. I turned and hit him in the face with my gun and this nurse shark did not let up he came directly back at me a good couple times before I had to put a spear into his face. I have been sick to my stomach all night about it cause I have the most respect for the ocean and these fish and would never go out of my way to injure something so beautiful. As of what I know the nurse shark did not die but he did finally leave me alone. Again my question is does anybody think that this color of my new suit is causing this aggresion towards me, I dive alot with some serious divers and the things that are accuring under water with me lately is amazing all them. Thank you anyone for your help on this matter.

Do you still have your old suit? Try wearing it again and see if you have any further issues. No matter what anyone else's opinion may be, your observations of your situation will matter more. You are claiming that you have had three incidents that you consider to be unusual in only a couple months. Either you're more sensitive, something else has changed, or something about your new suit could be a factor.

bsee,
I appreciate your respone. Yeah I still have my old black suit and that is exactly what I was already planning on doing. I will admit after my run in with the hammerhead I have been more on point when I am down there, but being the fact that other divers have been seeing this **** they too are starting to wonder. Again thanks for you time brother.

Can't speak about the suit.

Different sharks react in various ways. The reefies will spook and bolt if challenged, but the nurse's are either sleeping or they are on you. When I've had a nurse come after me, it will never back down no matter how hard you head butt them. I think they are just too stupid to give up.

All you can do is get out of the water and move. We've been braining the fish to stop the twitching and then lift bagging all our fish to the surface. If the fish is twitching on the surface, it's the loudest dinner bell in the ocean. Unfortunately this doesn't always work on the deep ledge and tons of bulls are present. Then lifting doesn't make sense because they usually will chomp the fish before the captain can pull it on the deck. So you just stay and fight.

3413-DEFAULT-m.jpg

never seen one that color before. Gray wetsuit, gray sharks...? Weird.

I believe the answer may be that you are giving off trail or releaser pheromones and that, combined with the color of your suit, make the sharks think you are competition in the food chain and will not rest until they have successfully challenged you and chased you off. Sharks 3, sharkbait zip. Paint some red stripes on that suit and get a camera.

Last edited:
Thanks Wilz I appreciate the red stripes and a camera, but actually since you dive with me shouldnt the correct response be shark bait 3, sharks 0 considering I havent been bit yet. guess I better knock on this wood desk now since Im diving all weekend with you.

Thanks Wilz I appreciate the red stripes and a camera, but actually since you dive with me shouldnt the correct response be shark bait 3, sharks 0 considering I havent been bit yet. guess I better knock on this wood desk now since Im diving all weekend with you.

I gave the sharks points for making you believe it is their movie and you are in it. We all know that sharks are going to bother us for our catch, but the way things have been going lately, I think the Goliaths are becoming more of a pain in the arse. Put the fancy suit on the shelf and wear that shark shield.

Back
Top Bottom