Why do some lobster taste different than others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfoster33702

Contributor
Reaction score
We've noticed that sometimes 2 bugs can taste different - even if they were caught together and cooked fresh, right next to each other. Bitter - is the best word I can use to describe it.

Anyone know why?

My first guess would be the diet of the individual lobsters. Kinda like the difference between grass-fed and corn-fed beef: diet does make a difference in the final product.

Peace,
Greg

Lobsters are what they eat, and they eat carrion. Kinda like coming across 2 vultures, one eating a roadkill armadillo, the other snacking on cat. They are likely to taste different, and one will give you leprosy, the other will make you sneeze.

Lobsters are what they eat, and they eat carrion. Kinda like coming across 2 vultures, one eating a roadkill armadillo, the other snacking on cat. They are likely to taste different, and one will give you leprosy, the other will make you sneeze.

Depends on whether they were caught on Duval or Front street.:D

The reason is when the tails were cleaned they didn't get the entire poop chute removed..

Thanks for the answers - some jokes :) some guesses (Poop chute cleaned...this isn't my first rodeo).

The taste is very distinct. It's the difference between sweet and bitter. I wonder if it has to do with how much air they breathed in the live well... or how long exactly they were dead prior to freezing or cooking? We've had them at a hibachi place and it was the same - one was good, one was bitter.

I'm headed to the keys next month - I'm going to try a few methods of keeping the lobster after catching.

1 - directly on ice
2 - bait well, no water (they do seem to live a lot longer with no water)
3 - bait well with water
4 - will not completely tail them because that would be a no no - but I'll disconnect their main blood line to the tail.

I've been told by many people that spiney lobster isn't "sweet" like maine lobster... I think people are getting these bitter lobster, so I can see why they think this.

Yep, they're scavengers (and sometimes active predators) so they are what they eat (minus what they excrete). Kind of makes you wonder why they usually taste so good!

I agree with Johnoly. If you bust the gut while cleaning them, the contents can flavor the meat. Same with shrimp and the contents can be bitter, just as you explained.

I agree with Johnoly. If you bust the gut while cleaning them, the contents can flavor the meat. Same with shrimp and the contents can be bitter, just as you explained.

This is the one thing that I've already proved not to be true. I've caught lobster, split them and cooked them all in the same 20 minutes. I depooped them and then cut them down the middle, rinsing them well. Zero chance for this to be the case. Still, some of them have that taste.

You guys do know the taste talking about, right? It's not just a "hmmm, this one might taste funny." - it's more like, "damn! I got the funky one again!".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom