Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: What to do if I see a lionfish in GOM?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

What to do if I see a lionfish in GOM?

I've never seen a lionfish in the wild, and I am wondering what I should do if I run across one in the Gulf of Mexico. Is it beneficial and legal to dispatch them anywhere along the US Gulf Coast? How do they react when being hunted? Will they strike in self defense? What's the safest way to dispatch them, spear them with a spear and drop the carcass to the bottom? How long should a spear be?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I got yelled at trying to knife one. A spear is probably much safer than a knife. Sorry, that's all I know. :-/

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Just use a short pole spear with a paralyzer tip. Make sure the lionfish is dead and if you do not want to take it home, then push it off the tip with something other than your hand and let the ocean fish have something to eat. Lionfish are very tasty and compare very favorably with hogfish and can be prepared in any number of ways. For more info, just google lionfish recipes. Good luck hunting.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    It is beneficial and legal to kill them not only in the gulf, but pretty much anywhere. The only exceptions may be sanctuary type areas that do not allow any hunting at all. YourLDS should be able to let you know if there are any areas near you where it is not OK, but as invasive species, they are on NOAA's official hitlist and they are a federal agency.

Some people say we're all just wasting our time and that we'll never get rid of lionfish now that they are hear and spreading and that may be true, but I feel that each one killed allows a handfull of young reef fish to live a bit longer.

As for their reaction when hunted, the spines are completely defensive, they do not attack with them. If you spear the fish, it's game over anyway. If you miss, that fish will disapear almost every time. If they've been missed before, like some of the ones near popular snorkeling beaches here, they get wary of people.

I second the pole spear with a paralyzer tip. The three-pronged tip keeps the fish from sliding down the shaft toward your hand an keeps the fish from spinning around for the next part. I cary a pair of medical trauma shears and just snip the long dorsal (top) and pectoral (side) fins while the fish is still on the spear. then You can grab it without worry and put it on a stringer or in a bag.

You can get a surprisingly large fillet off lionfish bigger than about 8". I use my hand as guide. If it's bigger than my hand, it gets eaten, if not it gets killed and left behind.
    Good Luck and Good Diving: What goes down must come up.
    Jon

Registered

Fixing to Take a Tech Course

Galveston,TX During the summers Izmir, Turkey
    Dives
    50 - 99
    If im not mistaken NOAA had recently done a trip to the Texas Flower Gardens to just hunt Lionfish. They are trying to kill as many as they can. I over heard some Scientific divers talking about it here at TAMUG

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    as for the behaviour, they will just wait to be killed

really dumb fish
    laguna230diver@yahoo.com

Owner of FST DIVE SERVICES commercial dive company based in Myrtle Beach
    learn about me and my business on the link below
    http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/09/09...face-with.html

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by laguna230diver View Post
    as for the behaviour, they will just wait to be killed

really dumb fish

But they will get smart if you miss them. I see that here around the beaches where everyone with a new pole spear goes to try it out. When the lionfish see you coming they disapear. Still shot a few of those shy ones too though!
    Good Luck and Good Diving: What goes down must come up.
    Jon

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Nuclear Engineer at Spree

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoman Diver View Post
    If im not mistaken NOAA had recently done a trip to the Texas Flower Gardens to just hunt Lionfish. They are trying to kill as many as they can. I over heard some Scientific divers talking about it here at TAMUG
    You are mistaken. No lionfish have been seen yet at the Flower Gardens, they were on Sonnier Bank (or 3 hickey rock, or whatever it's called). The TAMUG crew went out on the Fling and whacked the little guys. The lionfish are resting in pieces.
    Capt Frank Wasson
    M/V Spree
    www.spreeexpeditions.com