Lionfish rules and regulations in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Now that I was to the FWC website, I am thoroughly confused. I cannot find the actual rules and regulations concerning lionfish. The last PDF file I opened stated that they "may" be a threat and to mark their location. They even said not to attempt to kill or capture.

This is not what I am seeing on dive boats nor do I think this is the official position but I may be wrong.

1) What is the "official" position of the FWC?
2) Who if anyone is allowed to kill lionfish in Florida?
3) Is the killing limited to the boat operators or any certified diver?

Thanks

NOAA has officially listed them as an invasive species so it is open season on them in US waters. Of course Marine parks/preserves and other areas that have their own regulations restricting fishing or spearing may now allow it in certain areas.

NOAA Eat Lionfish Campaign

NOAA Lionfish Control and Management

Sounds like they are open game except the possibility of protected waters where you may not be allowed to dive anyway.

1) What is the "official" position of the FWC?
Lionfish are classified as an invasive species that are non-native to Florida waters. That is their official position.

2) Who if anyone is allowed to kill lionfish in Florida?
As of today you may harvest a lionfish if you are in possession of a valid saltwater fishing license. The term harvest means the 'reduction of a resource'. As of today, even if you kill a lionfish and leave it on the bottom, you still have cause a reduction and must hold the proper license. A valid saltwater fishing license if available to both residents and non-residents and there also are exceptions for various people like children, seniors which are too numerous for this post and should be researched separately.

3) Is the killing limited to the boat operators or any certified diver?

Per my answer in number 2, ANYONE who holds a valid saltwater license or is properly exempted may harvest a lionfish. Other rules and sanctuary harvesting rules may supercede and prohibit harvesting or carry additional requirements.

That is today's rules. We are working to change these so that divers don't need a valid license but those rules are not finished yet, so you still need a license.

You may obtain a license either over the phone, in person at most fishing supply stores and on the internet at Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

To answer your next question, There currently are no restrictions on equipment specified to harvest lionfish. Examples are spears, bags, nets, slurpies and knives.

I guess it's time to invest in slurp-gun big enough to capture public enemy number one. :)

I am most curious...Why a "Slurp Gun"?

Do you intend to sell them?
Are you not wanting to kill them?
Do you want to eat them live?

Chug
Actually serious.

I am most curious...Why a "Slurp Gun"?

On a side note about the slurp gun. To help 'educate' new divers that come into the diveshops, Several shops have set up small aquariums with 2 - 3 Lionfish that are alive inside of them. They have caught the smaller ones with a slurp gun so they fit in the tank. It helps to show new divers, not only the slow movements of the lions but also point out which spines can sting and why the side ones don't sting for handling purposes.

Then they lead the customer over to the speargun counter for a nice up - sale !!!

Glad they are working on eliminating a license for it. Who wants to pay $47 for an out of state license just to help the state?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom