If you take lobster off NJ you must now register...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
New Jersey Saltwater Recreational Registry Program

What is the penalty for individuals caught fishing without registering with the NJSRRP first?

Any person who fails to register with the NJSRRP will be subject to a penalty of $300 to $3,000 for a first offense and $500 to $5,000 for subsequent offenses.

NJDEP-NJ Saltwater Recreational Registry Program-Frequently Asked Questions

What recreational gear beside hook and line would require registry?

The NJSRRP requires registry by anglers using any of the following gear: spear, hook-and-line, hand line, rod-and-line, or by hand.

I'm a diver; I never fish with a rod and reel. Do I need to register?

Yes. The NJSRRP requires registry by recreational fishermen using any of the following gear: spear, hook-and-line, hand line, rod-and-line, or by hand.

NJDEP-NJ Saltwater Recreational Registry Program

Thanks for the info NJDiver. Sorry, but NJ is such a nanny state... The family hunter registered, printed off and laminated the card so it can be carried and produced if required.

May 11, 2011 9:21 AM

Dear Mr. _____:

If taking lobsters by hand you need to register. If taking benthic mollusks (i.e. clams, mussels, oysters), with the exception of conchs, by hand you need a license, not a registration. If taking lobsters with a recreational lobster license ($100) which allows the use of 10 lobster pots, you do not need to register.

A recreational diver would not be required to have the registration certificate on them when under water recreationally fishing. However, the registration certificate should be kept nearby, such as on the boat or in the car, so it can be made available when asked by a conservation, or other enforcement, officer.

Hopefully this answer was helpful.

>>> < > 5/8/2011 7:15 AM >>>
Internet E-mail from the Saltwater Registry Contact Form

** FROM **
First Name:
Last Name:
Email:
Topic: Other
** MESSAGE **

It is being reported by both print and radio media that those taking shellfish and lobster do not need to register. There are also contradicting statements in your frequently asked questions section number 31. The sport divers of this state and those visiting from elsewhere need to have a clearer statement from the Marine Fisheries Administration as to whether or not they need to register when taking shellfish or crustaceans by hand. There is also a contradiction in the Administrative Order as to availability of the registry certificate on demand of an enforcement officer. One section states that it must be kept “on his or her person” and another section states “shall make available”. This will create a hardship for those diving from shore unless given leeway by the enforcement officer on scene to produce the certificate from a vehicle or nearby residence. Please contact me to clear up these discrepancies. Thank you.

So as a non-resident, I can take lobsters while diving and don't have to pay anything, just register which I already did?

From what I can tell, there are two different N.J. cards. A registration card for fishing (rod, hand, spear...) that is free. And a license for taking shellfish, clams, mussels... which costs. For me, a non-resident it was $20. I did the free registration, too. It doesn't say what category ocean scallops fall into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom