Ciguatera - Is it worth the risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxamilly

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone want to shed some light on the toxin? I am in the Bahamas and would like to hunt fish and lobsters, but I am concerned with the associated risks. Are there ways around it? Are there things to look out for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Maxamilly

I'm only familiar with it in Barracuda (or bacarruda :)). "If it's bigger than your arm, it'll do you harm".

Spiny lobster don't have ciguatera. Only carnivorous fish.

I certainly have friends who eat pretty much nothing but reef fish in the Caribbean, and they have never had a hit. But equally I do know people who have had hits, and it is no fun at all - risk is pretty small but it is certainly there. Barracuda are supposed to be the worst offenders. Grouper and snapper less so, and pelagics are not supposed to be risky at all.

I actually have ciguatera. I got from a grouper I caught in St. John. Im only 21 and was 18 when i got it so it didn't hit me very hard, but some of my family members in their 50s still get the minor recurring symptoms from eating warm water fish (personally I think its in their head). There is actually a kit that you can buy that will test a strip of the fish and tell you if it contains the toxin or not. I haven't used it, but I read an article on it in one of the big name fishing magazines. Its something I would pick up if i were you.

no test for Cig. Locals in the Bahamas know what reef areas are ciguatoxic. My method was to make friends with the neighbors cat who loved fresh fish. He was ok after a day I was good to go.

I live in the outlying Islands in the Bahamas.

Last I knew the cig testing kit was no longer available.

Barracuda, Amberjacks, Groupers and Snappers are all a concern, especially the larger ones.

Pelagic species such as Mahi Mahi are considered safe.

I spear and eat plenty of fish out here, especially Lion fish.

It is somewhat of a lottery, but the bigger the species the greater the risk. There is no sure way of figuring out if a fish has CIG, cooking/ freezing will not kill it, and even if your cat eats it (an old wives tale) it doesn't mean its safe.

But then again, what in life is truly safe......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom